MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - I need an audiobook player

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: I need an audiobook player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can deliver to my customers with the audiobook versions of my novels. According to the research and testing I have done over the past few weeks, Nightingale meets my basic needs. There are some changes to the user interface I will need, and to the installer/download manager, since the installer will need to not only install the NG app but download and install the audiobook as well. Since I will eventually have five novels in audiobook format (I have over ten thousand readers worldwide), I expect more than a slight interest in these audiobooks.

If there is any interest in modifying Nightingale for commercial use, I would be happy to discuss this further.

http://www.garyshowalter.com
Hi
Honestly I think it isn't a good idea to bundle your audiobooks with a specific player. Just recommend a player for the audiobooks and let people download the files directly.
It'd be a bit excessive to force people to use a full blown mussic player, just to listen to audiobooks.
Further, we don't even have proper audiobook support.

If you recommend Nightingale and link the audio files directly on a page, your customers will be able to download them directly into Nightingale from the pane that pops up.

I think I can speak for the team, that we are not interested in comerzialisation of the project.
(02-15-2014, 11:01 PM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]I think I can speak for the team, that we are not interested in comerzialisation of the project.

I agree with freaktechnik. Nightingale (as a project) is noncommercial.

This does not prohibit you from using Nightingale (as a media player) commercially, but, as freaktechnik said, forcing your users to use a specific player is not a good choice. Some users may have a personal preference for a specific player, allowing any software is a good selling point.

Depending on how big you are thinking, I thus see multiple options for you in regards to Nightingale:
  • You integrate Nightingale into your website. Users may use Nightingale's playback controls to control streaming, and can download purchased audio books into their library.
  • Additionally to the first option, you create a general-purpose audio book add-on, which implements additional features you want for audio books (like a second library, etc), and donate it to the open source community.
  • You create a Nightingale add-on providing seamless access to your audio book store. Your users can download the add-on from your server, log in from Nightingale and browse their audio books, sync bookmarks with your web player, or whatever other integration you need.
Independent of these options, if you need additional core features, we'll gladly accept pull requests, given it is not specific to your store and can't get handled as add-on. And if you or your developers run into issues with NG, we're here to help.
Thank you both for your time, experience and explanations. You have given me many options I did not have before, and that is a good thing.