MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - zero metadata from certain songs in watched folder

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: zero metadata from certain songs in watched folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Huh The context: I downloaded a gifted album from itunes store. Nightingale is set to watch the folder (the only one i use for mp3z). After the download, 8 of the 20 tracks had no metadata, and were titled "download". I reloaded, and restarted NG to no effect. The info is there in iTunes, so why isn't NG grabbing it? It makes no sense, because nothing has more thorough metadata than an itunes store file..
(02-11-2014, 05:30 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]Huh The context: I downloaded a gifted album from itunes store. Nightingale is set to watch the folder (the only one i use for mp3z). After the download, 8 of the 20 tracks had no metadata, and were titled "download". I reloaded, and restarted NG to no effect. The info is there in iTunes, so why isn't NG grabbing it? It makes no sense, because nothing has more thorough metadata than an itunes store file..

Did you try to re-import the files? If that doesn't work, can you verify the metadata is actually set (using mp3tag or something like that)? I'd not trust iTunes to properly export its metadata, as Apple is not known for good interoperability.
how do i "re-import"? It's a watched folder, there's no itunes library synchronization. Here's a look at the data from a 3rd party util, compared to NG.

[Image: NG%20meta%20snafu.jpg]

(02-12-2014, 08:07 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2014, 05:30 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]Huh The context: I downloaded a gifted album from itunes store. Nightingale is set to watch the folder (the only one i use for mp3z). After the download, 8 of the 20 tracks had no metadata, and were titled "download". I reloaded, and restarted NG to no effect. The info is there in iTunes, so why isn't NG grabbing it? It makes no sense, because nothing has more thorough metadata than an itunes store file..

Did you try to re-import the files? If that doesn't work, can you verify the metadata is actually set (using mp3tag or something like that)? I'd not trust iTunes to properly export its metadata, as Apple is not known for good interoperability.
To reimport songs, remove them from your library and then manually import them. If the metadata still doesn't import properly, could you check if the files are read only?

This issue possibly happened because ngale couldn't properly read the file when it got the folder content update.
[Image: reimported.jpg]

(02-12-2014, 10:13 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]To reimport songs, remove them from your library and then manually import them. If the metadata still doesn't import properly, could you check if the files are read only?

This issue possibly happened because ngale couldn't properly read the file when it got the folder content update.
(02-12-2014, 11:53 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]...

Do you have any songs appearing as download that are public domain / cc-licensed? If so, could you please upload one of them somewhere so I can have a look at the tags?
No, I don't think I do. I haven't been using NG for that long (2 months?) and this is the first time this has happened. I have about 17GB of mp3s with mixed licenses. About half are probably iTunes.

(02-13-2014, 03:35 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2014, 11:53 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]...

Do you have any songs appearing as download that are public domain / cc-licensed? If so, could you please upload one of them somewhere so I can have a look at the tags?
This has to be some sort of Tagging issue, as normally if Nightingale couldn't read the tags, it'd just set the filename as title. But the title obviously is different to the filename. Have you tried writing ID3 information with iTunes? This should rewrite the Tags completely. I think it's in the contextmenu of each m4a track in iTunes.
AACs don't have ID3 tags AFAIK.

(02-13-2014, 04:45 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]This has to be some sort of Tagging issue, as normally if Nightingale couldn't read the tags, it'd just set the filename as title. But the title obviously is different to the filename. Have you tried writing ID3 information with iTunes? This should rewrite the Tags completely. I think it's in the contextmenu of each m4a track in iTunes.
(02-13-2014, 04:54 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]AACs don't have ID3 tags AFAIK.
Yes, that's technically correct, but as far as I remember, iTunes likes to call the Metadata of mp4 containers ID3 too. Aka I only remeber the context menu item stating to rewrite ID3 tags. But it is possible that they have stripped that since I last used iTunes, which was more than 2 years ago.
Pages: 1 2