MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - How to Queue Tracks

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: How to Queue Tracks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am brand new to Nightingale. I run Bodhi Linux (based on Ubuntu 12.04). I have been using Audacious as my high-quality music player, and Clementine as my music explorer. I discovered Nightingale a couple of days ago, and am very enthused about how well it meets my preferences in a music explorer.

One function that is important to me is Queue Next and Queue Last. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get this function to work at all. If I highlight a track, right click, and select Queue Next, nothing happens. That is, I see no sequence number next to the track. And the track does NOT play next. I cannot find a queue list anywhere. I cannot find anything in the preferences about how to create a queue list or how to view it.

I'll bet I'm missing something very simple here, but I've gone around and around without success. I searched this forum and found quite little about queueing. I am running Nightingale 1.11.1, which is the current package available in the Ubuntu repo. Can someone point me to some info on how to use the Queue function? Thanks, in advance.
(01-28-2014, 11:56 AM)Iggy64 Wrote: [ -> ]If I highlight a track, right click, and select Queue Next, nothing happens. That is, I see no sequence number next to the track. And the track does NOT play next.
You can view the play queue on the right display panel (click or drag the right border to view it). If you're using an add-on using the same panel as well, you can choose the view using the button on the top of the separator.

The queue works quite much like a separate playlist, you can also drag songs from and to the queue, or rearrange items. Double-click a song in the queue to start it; normal playback of your playlists is NOT altered by the play queue.

In contrast to regular playlists, the play queue does not support the random playback mode. You can, however, save the queue at any time into a new playlist using the buttons below it.

(01-28-2014, 11:56 AM)Iggy64 Wrote: [ -> ]I am running Nightingale 1.11.1, which is the current package available in the Ubuntu repo.
Hm, we're on 1.12.1 now. Maybe you used an old repository? ppa:nightingaleteam/nightingale-release should be the correct one.
Thanks very much, rsjtdrjgfuzkfg! This is maybe the best implementation of a play queue I have seen -- and I have tried a lot of music players over the years. Very nice indeed. I'm even more enthused about this player than I was before!

I feel foolish that I could not find the play queue list. Is there documentation somewhere that tells how to access all these excellent features of Nightingale? I don't seem to be able to find a good guide. As a result, I'm overlooking some great features, like this queue list.

Regarding the Nightingale version: I am using version 1.11.1.5 because that's the current version in the Ubuntu repository, which I can access through Synaptic Package Manager. I guess I should add the Nightingale ppa to the Synaptic resources list, so I can get a newer version. I'm fairly new to Linux, too ;-)

My thanks to you and all other contributors to the Nightingale project. This player seems well conceived and executed, especially being such a young fork. When I was a Windows user, MusicBee was by far my favorite music explorer. I believe Nightingale is fast becoming a great explorer for Linux users.

Well, now that you got me started by showing me how to open the rightmost panel, I'm seeing how to display all sorts of useful info there, as well as in the bottom panel. So I downloaded a few more add-ons, and I'm very, very pleased with how much useful info I can display while I'm exploring my collection, especially when sampling lots of new tracks.

This certainly seems like the most versatile explorer for Linux today. And it comes with a very pleasing interface.

Again, I offer my thanks for your efforts in developing Nightingale.
Well, unluckily our end-user documentation is... rather lacking. We're showing off pretty much all we have on the first run page. We're working on migrating (aka updating) old songbird documentation. I am sorry to say, that developer docs have priority though.

It's quite interesting that your synaptic would just thave Nightingale in it. As far as we know, we're not in any PPA apart from our official ones and some community driven ones earlier when we didn't know how launchpad worked.

EDIT: as you mentioned you have version 1.11.1.5, which leads me to the conclusion, that you must have added this PPA to your system: https://launchpad.net/~trebelnik-stefina...ightingale
Thanks for the info, Freaktechnic!

As I noted in my previous post, once I learned about the panel system, I started finding Nightingale's features pretty quickly. Now I have a few very helpful add-ons and can arrange them in the different panels. Having used quite a few music players over the years, I can now find most of what I need rather easily. I simply wasn't observant enough initially to notice the "hidden" right-side panel! The help from this forum takes the place of a detailed user guide. Thanks!

I added your ppa to my Synaptic resources and ran the upgrade to v 1.12. The download went smoothly. The actual upgrade got hung up during the "Checking compatibility of add-ons with this version" portion. I eventually just cancelled out of that window, fired up Nightingale, and everything is working great! All my playlists, preferences, and even the play queue were remembered. Nice.

Finally, I have a player in Linux that is similar to MusicBee. In some ways, it is even better, as a music explorer. I am very grateful to you and all the other developers.

And thanks for taking time to help me through this forum.

Edit: I should have added that you are probably correct. I must have added your ppa some time ago without actually installing Nightingale. Then, when I recently did install Nightingale, I neglected to update the ppa before downloading the code. So last night I updated the ppa and was able to download v 1.12. Like I said earlier, I'm still sort of a Linux newbie, too! Gotta remember to update the resources in Synaptic.
(01-29-2014, 10:19 PM)Iggy64 Wrote: [ -> ]The actual upgrade got hung up during the "Checking compatibility of add-ons with this version" portion.
That is because we do not provide add-on updates yet, as we currently don't have the physical ressources to do so. Our servers do not support the required encryption for that, and the add-on platform's development is not actually going on right now due to lack of time and developers. Thus, the code tries to update but fails to recive updates.

(01-29-2014, 10:27 AM)Iggy64 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there documentation somewhere that tells how to access all these excellent features of Nightingale? I don't seem to be able to find a good guide. As a result, I'm overlooking some great features, like this queue list.
As freaktechnik said, developer docs and getting some more stability into the core by using up-to-date libraries and installing replacements for Songbird stuff is the developer's main priority right now. However, we'd love if you could help us on improving the Nightingale documentation. If you don't have them yet, contact GeekShadow to get write access to the wiki and you can improve the documentation right away!
(01-30-2014, 08:18 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]That is because we do not provide add-on updates yet, as we currently don't have the physical ressources to do so. Our servers do not support the required encryption for that, and the add-on platform's development is not actually going on right now due to lack of time and developers. Thus, the code tries to update but fails to recive updates.

Thanks for the explanation. It's finally sinking in that your are early in the development of this fork. I appreciate how very well the player actually functions at this early stage, especially given that it's a cross-platform effort. Kudos!

(01-30-2014, 08:18 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]As freaktechnik said, developer docs and getting some more stability into the core by using up-to-date libraries and installing replacements for Songbird stuff is the developer's main priority right now. However, we'd love if you could help us on improving the Nightingale documentation. If you don't have them yet, contact GeekShadow to get write access to the wiki and you can improve the documentation right away!
I hope that I can learn my way around this program quickly enough to be able to contribute to the documentation. I'm a fairly good writer, and this seems to be a very worthwhile project.