MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Import problem on Linux Mint 16

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Import problem on Linux Mint 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I have just tried to import some music into Nightingale on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon and Nightingale isn't able to import any single mp3-file.

This installation of Linux Mint runs in a Virtual Box VM. Banshee for example is able to import the files and plays them correctly. Any hints?
How did you install nightingale and how did you import those mp3s?
(01-27-2014, 12:22 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]How did you install nightingale and how did you import those mp3s?

Nightingale_1.12.1-2454_ubuntu-x86_64.tar.bz2

Just extracted it to a folder in /home/johndoe and started Nightingale. Import was tried several ways: Watch folder /home/johndoe/Musik, drag and drop an album-directory into Nightingale media library or use File->Import Media to pick a diretory.

I also compiled Nightingale myself and got an error in MetadataHandlerTaglib.cpp on line 2384. I commented out these lines like that and I got the build:

// HACK: START Comment
/*
if (dynamic_cast<TagLib::TagUnion*>(pTag)){
TagLib::TagUnion* tagUnion = dynamic_cast<TagLib::TagUnion*>(pTag);
if (tagUnion->tag(2)){
TAGLIB1_PROPERTIES_WORKAROUND(tagUnion->tag(2));
}
if (tagUnion->tag(1)){
TAGLIB1_PROPERTIES_WORKAROUND(tagUnion->tag(1));
}
if (tagUnion->tag(0)){
TAGLIB1_PROPERTIES_WORKAROUND(tagUnion->tag(0));
}
} else {
TAGLIB1_PROPERTIES_WORKAROUND(pTag);
}
*/
// HACK: END Comment
// HACK: START New instruction
TAGLIB1_PROPERTIES_WORKAROUND(pTag);
// HACK: END New instruction

I was only one time able to import files, but I can't reproduce the way at this moment. I tried to import music at least twenty times.
Do you have all gstreamer packages installed on your system? Particularily important here is gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, as it containes the mp3 decoder.

What exactly was the error, as you should have been automatically using the packaged taglib, which should build with the source just fine (and did so many times....).
(01-27-2014, 01:36 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have all gstreamer packages installed on your system? Particularily important here is gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, as it containes the mp3 decoder.

Yes, I have this packet installed. I installed all packages listed in http://wiki.getnightingale.com/doku.php?id=build:linux

But used not yum. Instead I used the Mint Management Tool. The one import which worked when testing, let me play the mp3s correct.

(01-27-2014, 01:36 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly was the error, as you should have been automatically using the packaged taglib, which should build with the source just fine (and did so many times....).

Error message:
MetadataHandlerTaglib.o: In Funktion `sbMetadataHandlerTaglib::ReadFile(TagLib::File*, char const*)':
/home/marc/nightingale-hacking/components/mediacore/metadata/handler/taglib/src/MetadataHandlerTaglib.cpp:2386: Nicht definierter Verweis auf `typeinfo for TagLib::TagUnion'
(01-27-2014, 03:06 AM)mweidner Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I have this packet installed. I installed all packages listed in http://wiki.getnightingale.com/doku.php?id=build:linux

But used not yum. Instead I used the Mint Management Tool.
The packages listed there are needed for building, not for using nightingale - but since playback seemed to work, that's not the issue.

Quote:The one import which worked when testing, let me play the mp3s correct.
So it randomly worked once? Or did it always work with that set of files? Did nightingale terminate correctly after trying to import files?

Quote:Error message:
MetadataHandlerTaglib.o: In Funktion `sbMetadataHandlerTaglib::ReadFile(TagLib::File*, char const*)':
/home/marc/nightingale-hacking/components/mediacore/metadata/handler/taglib/src/MetadataHandlerTaglib.cpp:2386: Nicht definierter Verweis auf `typeinfo for TagLib::TagUnion'
that does sound like your taglib is messed up, but if you'd have the wrong version of taglib, building should have aborted. Do you have --with-taglib-source=packaged in your nightingale.config?
Quote:The one import which worked when testing, let me play the mp3s correct.
So it randomly worked once? Or did it always work with that set of files? Did nightingale terminate correctly after trying to import files?

It worked one time, but I don't remember what exactly I did in this test-run. I don't see any error-messages, when trying to import files. It just says 0 files were added to library.

Quote:that does sound like your taglib is messed up, but if you'd have the wrong version of taglib, building should have aborted. Do you have --with-taglib-source=packaged in your nightingale.config?

No, i don't have this in my nightingale.config. I have added it and now it builds fine without any changes to the sources. Shouldn't it be mentioned in the wiki or be in the nightingale.config when you pull it from Git?
(01-27-2014, 06:13 AM)mweidner Wrote: [ -> ]It worked one time, but I don't remember what exactly I did in this test-run. I don't see any error-messages, when trying to import files. It just says 0 files were added to library.
This means they were not detected as being mp3 files. So either their headers are messed up, which would show by nightingale not terminating when you close it (this only is true if you disable unity integration or set extensions.unity-integration.hideOnClose to false).

Quote:No, i don't have this in my nightingale.config. I have added it and now it builds fine without any changes to the sources. Shouldn't it be mentioned in the wiki or be in the nightingale.config when you pull it from Git?
It's in the readme and in theory should also work automatically, but it seems that Linux Mint obstructs its heritage from Debain/Ubuntu and also claims to have a different Taglib version.

Normally on Debian based distros without this argument it'd fail, because the taglib version on the system is too old. But it seems Mint has a (it claims to be at least) newer, but still patched version.
The files are fine. I use them for years now with Winamp, Songbird and nowadays Nightingale. They can even be played in Linux Mint with Banshee.

I was now able to import them into Nightingale. I imported them via importing a m3u playlist. Now they are available in Nightingale, but I can not play them. I can edit the tags and these changes can be seen in Banshee after closing Nightingale.

So, I don't think the taglib is the problem. It must be something different.
Well, if you can't play them you are clearly missing the gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly package (or was it the bar or the other one? Just install all of them and you can play everything...), as that is what makes Nightingale able to play mp3 files. If Nightingale knows it cannot play a fomrat, it sometimes actually respects that when importing files, too...
Pages: 1 2