MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Desktop Notifications

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Desktop Notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every time a new song plays I get a popup on my desktop (Ubuntu/KDE) with the songname + artist.
This is extremely annoying as it means I'm distracted from my work every 3 minutes!
I couldn't find a way to disable this in the settings.

Of course, you shouldn't be adding settings for every little thing, so maybe a more nuanced implementation could be the default:

Could the default be that the notification only comes up when the album changes? This would cover the case when you are in a diverse playlist (say at a party) and want to know the names of the songs as they happen, and would also cover the case where you stick on an album in the background while you are working but don't want to be distracted and jolted out of your concentration every few minutes.
If you use the normal nightingale package, you can toggle the notifications using the button on the right of the facepane. When you open Nightingale the button will merely be a dot, just click it a few times to get the button. To disable the notifications, the button has to be in disabled state.
If that still doesn't disable the notifications, type aobut:config in a new tab and toogle the pref extensions.libnotify-notifs.enableNotifications to false (you can just doubleclick it).

Further this is Issue #250
(01-25-2014, 10:31 PM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]aobut:config
about:config
Thanks! got it with the about:config setting.
This solved it for me (one user).
I'll have a look at the source code and see if I can implement the change I outlined.

I haven't tested building the following:
https://github.com/eoghanmurray/nighting...ecdca67d8e
Your change should build just fine, as it is only in js code.
The interesting part would now be what Issue @250 describes: where to expose the preference to the end user?

I also personally think, that by default every track should give you a notification, as that's what I want to know. I can disable the notifications (if the pref is exposed, of course), if I ever feel distracted by the notifications (which I never do, since notify OSD has a bug and always shows notifications on the rightmost screen....)
Yes, it's cool to have an option to make them show up less, especially seeing that no other player having similar notifications offers you to do that, it's either all notifications or none.

If I were an unsavy user, I'd be confused why it would display "ALbum changes" instead of the newly playing track by default, since that's a weird behaviour.

Also, it'd be nice, if an album was just one track long, it'd show it as a full track notification, as there is no reason to call it a new album, and not showing the title if the sequence of songs from the same album is longer than one title. This, however poses us the problem, of what an album is. And that's pretty complicated, as I had to learn with MediaFlow.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this, too.
I appreciate that it's more complicated than I described.
And my patch doesn't address all the problems.

> where to expose the preference to the end user?
From doing user testing (for other programs), I've come to the conclusion that it's better to develop as if you can be sure that no user will ever change a preference. So putting it in about:config would work for me, as long as the default behavior makes sense for the majority of use cases.

> If I were an unsavy user, I'd be confused why it would display "ALbum changes" instead of the newly playing track by default, since that's a weird behaviour.
A more sophisticated implementation would look ahead and display 'Blood on the Tracks - 14 songs' at the start of the album. And if there was only one (or two) songs it would display the full track title like it does now.

> .. what an album is. And that's pretty complicated, as I had to learn with MediaFlow
it'd be good to hear what problems you encountered. Is there a way of getting access to sample user libraries? Or do we just go by our own collections?