MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - problems

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I desperately want to emancipate myself from the tyranny that is iTunes. Nightingale is sooo close, but there are a few things...

- spacebar doesn't work properly for play/pause, even if the application is in focus. sometimes will start playback, never will stop playback after arriving via the os x application switcher (command-tab)

- in related news, i have to press the media keys on the keyboard twice to get them to work. Of course i can't use the play/pause key because iTunes thinks it should run everything. A built-in method for intercepting those events would be cool, perhaps not technically possible though, i don't know.

- core audio- unlike standard applications, Nightingale doesn't update when the sound output device is changed in the sound control panel. It needs to be restarted to recognize a change. Annoying as i use a firewire interface, and a headphone driver, changing between the 2 at least once every day.

- there were messages which made no sense when i had it synched to iTunes playlists. "The playlist has been changed by Nightingale.. keep/merge.." something.. sorry i don't remember the wording but it was erroneous in that i wasn't doing anything at all when it told me this..

-..and, a couple of times after this, Nightingale seemed to randomly scramble playlists, sometimes even adding tracks which i haven't listened to in a couple of years. I had to delete the playlists and start again they were so broken. This and the last behaviour seem to have stopped since i turned on a watch folder and took iTunes out of the equation.

- sometimes, Nightingale will just scramble meta-data, particularly if a value isn't filled in. [Image: meta-scramble.jpg]
In this example, the maceo parker track has it's "album" filled with an album from a totally different artist..

- redraw- i'm not sure what Nightingale is using to draw it's interface, but it's a bit glitchy, sometimes inserting blank (glaring white) space if there's no data for the panel in question. Maybe it needs buffering? Not sure, but it makes it visually "shaky" and appears unstable even when it's probably fine.

All this aside, i have stuck with it for a couple of months.. compared to when it was songbird and i went back to itunes after 2 days because songbird had too many visual oddities and unpredictable behaviours. There are a lot of things i love about Nightingale- the things that make me hate iTunes- Nightingale gives me a choice of how i want it to look. Add-ons give features that are valuable, like lyrics and mashtape, unlike iTunes which just gives you a stringent look/feature set with basically no opportunity for customization, and worst of all, apple continues to make horrible interface changes while continuing to add more bloat. Get rid of cover-flow?! One of the most appealing features ever?

I really appreciate the work being done on Nightingale, and i hope to see it grow up into a mature, stable kid i can be proud to recommend to all my friends who hate iTunes. It seems like only fellow geeks will stick with Nightingale- the un-nerdy seem to be put off by the slight instabilities/interface bugs, lack of iphone interface, and general un-commercialness of it and drop it after a couple of days.
(01-18-2014, 04:01 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]- in related news, i have to press the media keys on the keyboard twice to get them to work. Of course i can't use the play/pause key because iTunes thinks it should run everything. A built-in method for intercepting those events would be cool, perhaps not technically possible though, i don't know.
Issue #208

Quote:- there were messages which made no sense when i had it synched to iTunes playlists. "The playlist has been changed by Nightingale.. keep/merge.." something.. sorry i don't remember the wording but it was erroneous in that i wasn't doing anything at all when it told me this..

-..and, a couple of times after this, Nightingale seemed to randomly scramble playlists, sometimes even adding tracks which i haven't listened to in a couple of years. I had to delete the playlists and start again they were so broken. This and the last behaviour seem to have stopped since i turned on a watch folder and took iTunes out of the equation.
This sounds like an issue with the iTunes sync, which no one of us fiddled with since Nightingale exists.

Quote:- redraw- i'm not sure what Nightingale is using to draw it's interface, but it's a bit glitchy, sometimes inserting blank (glaring white) space if there's no data for the panel in question. Maybe it needs buffering? Not sure, but it makes it visually "shaky" and appears unstable even when it's probably fine.
We use XULRunner and we run into similar issues on linux and would really like to fix that, if we knew how. It is based on GTK2.

To that sound routing issue, we intialize a gstreamer pipe which sticks around on startup on the default sound device, as far as I am aware. I don't think Nightingale currently can create a new pipe while running.
(01-18-2014, 04:01 AM)mistergreen Wrote: [ -> ]Of course i can't use the play/pause key because iTunes thinks it should run everything.

In case you didn't see it on the add-on page, download and run the patch here to disable launching iTunes when pressing the play/pause key. This should work unless for some reason you need to keep iTunes open when using Nightingale.
Playlist views should be sorted by default by the name of the title, to sort by a property, just click on it in the top (for example on "Title").

If you have a new question/issue please create a new thread instead of replying to an old one. If you post it to the wrong section, don't worry, we'll move it.