MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Preferred decoder

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Preferred decoder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all!
I got attached to Nightingale. Open source (hence free), good graphics ad so on. Basically I was looking for a good WMP alternative. There's only a missing feature: I cannot set my preferred decoder. I do use ffdshow or LAV Audio because my impressions are these ones are updated more often than others (in this case, gstreamer). How about adding the possibility to set a preferred decoder?

PS, and OT: I requested italian translation team. I want to contribute.
(12-15-2013, 10:33 PM)fabio94xx Wrote: [ -> ]There's only a missing feature: I cannot set my preferred decoder. I do use ffdshow or LAV Audio because my impressions are these ones are updated more often than others (in this case, gstreamer). How about adding the possibility to set a preferred decoder?
While it is technically possible to add additional media cores, we're currently trying to find time to update other parts of the backend to recent versions. These updates will give us more preformance and a more stable overall player. After/while doing that, some core features still are missing: the add-on distribution platform featherweight, for example. Currently add-ons are only a plain wiki page, without automatic updates. Another example would be metadata, we've already improved Nightingale's metadata-skills; however, there's still a lot missing like FLAC Cover art writing, a proper popularimeter implementation, etc.

The workload on a new media core is huge, and I don't see many advantages in having an additional media core. If you really wanted to just have feature xxx another media core would deliver, it is quite likely that adding the feature xxx directly to gstreamer is less work. Thus, I don't think the small amount of time we're able to invest into the project should be put into another media core.

(12-15-2013, 10:33 PM)fabio94xx Wrote: [ -> ]PS, and OT: I requested italian translation team. I want to contribute.

Your request got approved, and the italian topic is created.
Really nice explanation, I appreciate your work. And so, I can live without LAV :-)
I'll switch to the proper translation section if I have some questions about it.