MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Tagging

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Tagging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I move on from Songbird to Nightingale (Version: Nightingale 1.12, Build 2432 (20130416004705) ) - basically I lost the plot.

Long story short - I installed NG from scratch on new operating system (SolydK - debian fam) and decided it was high time I cleaned up my collection, so am doing the do from a virginal state, i.e. track by track.

Problem I'm having is when attempting to update metadata - constantly get the "... unable to write metadata back to your media file." error.

I've since opened up permissions on the O/S side - to no avail.

Downloaded and installed the "Tagger" (0.9.2.4) - to no avail.

Searching the net doesn't appear to reveal anything I can relate to yet - just wondering whether I'm doing something wrong?

Any assistance/relevant comments would be much appreciated.

Regards

t0nym
What file types is your music saved in?
(09-21-2013, 07:31 PM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]What file types is your music saved in?

Focussing on mp3's at the moment - didn't have this permission problem B4. Already concluded it's not a file type issue.

TiA

t0nym

Quote:Focussing on mp3's at the moment - didn't have this permission problem B4. Already concluded it's not a file type issue.

TiA

t0nym

Oh - dir perms are:

drwxr-xr-x 5 t0nym t0nym 4.0K Sep 6 08:55 ./Meejah/
drwxr-xr-x 9 t0nym t0nym 4.0K Sep 15 18:00 ./Meejah/Moozik/
drwxrwxrwx 3 t0nym t0nym 32K Sep 15 17:59 ./Meejah/Moozik/Nightingale/
drwxrwxrwx 828 t0nym t0nym 36K Sep 20 20:20 ./Meejah/Moozik/Nightingale/HipHop/

Library is below "HipHop"

Nightingale is being run as mesself (t0nym)

TiA

t0nym

[/quote]

Oh - dir perms are:

drwxr-xr-x 5 t0nym t0nym 4.0K Sep 6 08:55 ./Meejah/
drwxr-xr-x 9 t0nym t0nym 4.0K Sep 15 18:00 ./Meejah/Moozik/
drwxrwxrwx 3 t0nym t0nym 32K Sep 15 17:59 ./Meejah/Moozik/Nightingale/
drwxrwxrwx 828 t0nym t0nym 36K Sep 20 20:20 ./Meejah/Moozik/Nightingale/HipHop/

Library is below "HipHop"

Nightingale is being run as mesself (t0nym)

TiA

t0nym
[/quote]

Other probable helpful stuff:

t0nym@solydktosh:~$ uname -r
3.9-1-amd64

t0nym@solydktosh:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/"

TiA

t0nym
More info:

head -2 /etc/os-release && uname -r && ./nightingale -v
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
3.9-1-amd64
The Nightingale Community Nightingale 1.12

... also

Noticed "Now Playing List 2" breaks my ability to play via the GUI - clue is the speaker icon disappears; I've since disabled this addon - shame really.

...and

Current file repository was previously manipulated by an old version of Songbird (1.10- I think) - wondered if this might prevent subsequent metadata updates? Just a thought.

In fact, if anyone out there knows what Nightingale uses to write metadata to update files, then I can try using the CLI.

Just attempting to cover more bases...
(09-21-2013, 11:53 PM)JamTone Wrote: [ -> ]In fact, if anyone out there knows what Nightingale uses to write metadata to update files, then I can try using the CLI.

We're using taglib (probably your system's taglib). I'm assuming that you have write privileges on all of your sound files, even though your did not explicitly list that. If updating your system's taglib doesn't help, you might have luck building it on your own. If not, you can always use a third party metadata tool, given it updates the tags we read (depending on the format: ID3v2, Xiph, ...).
It is a known issue, that our tag writing support fails when using the system taglib. You need to use a build with prebuilt taglib. If you installed Nightingale with a .deb file, you might be fine, but I'd guess you just used the official download.
[moved out of add-ons since this is a general issue]
(09-22-2013, 08:40 PM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]It is a known issue, that our tag writing support fails when using the system taglib. You need to use a build with prebuilt taglib. If you installed Nightingale with a .deb file, you might be fine, but I'd guess you just used the official download.
[moved out of add-ons since this is a general issue]

K - thanx guys, I kinda suspected summat along those lines.

I really, really like this app, so I'll probably add this to my list of ToDo's since I'm now almost reliant on this feature.

Once again, many thanx... keep the faith.

Peace

t0nym