MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Flac Artwork Not Recognised

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Flac Artwork Not Recognised
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
At the time I was on 10.7. I haven't tried in quite a while. I'm now on 10.9.

The makefiles are so convoluted and dependent on such old versions of things that
I could never get it all right. Then I tried getting it to build with newer versions, but those makefiles are so messy I ran out of time. Theoretically it shouldn't be as hard as those makefiles make it out to be.

(07-12-2014, 03:57 AM)johnmurrayvi Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to hear the release build is working better (performance wise)!
Huh, that is really bizarre.. I'm going to try to recreate this and see if I can get any clues as to what's happening.

I saw that you had tried to build from source, what OSX version are you running?

(07-12-2014, 02:10 AM)eagebhart Wrote: [ -> ]Working with the release version everything is working so far and it is a lot snappier.

Album art is not displayed. But I can add album art and it seems to display after that.
The album art is not saved to the flac file. When examining the flac file directly with metaflac the original image is still in the file. The image is saved in the database though because the new image shows up in every version of nightingale I have tried.

I could have sworn artwork was showing in the debug version, but I'm getting the exact same behavior with it, and also with zjay's version which I know was showing artwork at some point.

Using the release version I deleted the library and reimported. Still no change in behavior and of course the artwork I had changed is no longer there.

So far all the edits are working. I have not meticulously tested every attribute and so far I have only tested flac.

On startup it seems to hang on checking compatibility of plugins. I cancelled it and restarted and everything was fine as far as I could tell. I don't have many plugins.

One thing that is annoying is that the selection is de-selected after any edit. This was not the previous behavior. I can see the reasoning behind it in some cases and not others. When the selection changes the location in the view, the selection disappears, like if I'm sorting by album name and I change the name.
Wow sorry it's taken me so long to reply!
Yeah, I agree, there is a steep learning curve to figuring out all of the makefiles etc.
I've been using 10.6.8 and have been hesitant/scared to upgrade past that hah. At some point though, I'm sure I'll need to move to 10.9 to ensure compatibility/update the build system though.
I have made Linux and Mac builds using the taglib-testing branch merged in with the sb-trunk-oldxul branch (using my fork of nightingale-hacking, see here). Embedded FLAC album art loads correctly for both builds. I also tested reading and writing of mp3, FLAC, ogg and m4a metadata (both tags and cover art), and nothing is broken that isn't already broken in the current sb-trunk-oldxul branch. I don't know how to build on Windows, but I tested the Windows build of the taglib-testing branch that rsjtdrjgfuzkfg posted earlier in this thread (here), and again there is no differences with the current sb-trunk-oldxul in terms of tag reading/writing, other than FLAC album art importing support for the taglib-testing build.

So with this said, can the taglib-testing branch be merged with sb-trunk-oldxul, so that the next Nightingale release will support embedded FLAC album art reading? Or do we need to test on more Linux distros? (I made my Linux build on Mint 17.1, using the Wiki build instructions for Ubuntu. If it matters, I had to manually install TagLib 1.8 on my system to make the building process finish successfully, following this post.)

Oh, and I'm not sure if the commits on the taglib-testing branch conflict with the patched-taglib stuff johnmurrayvi started working on later (should be this branch on his GitHub - he also linked to some builds earlier in this thread). From my testing of those builds, they provide support for FLAC tag writing and also fix some missing tag importing for ogg and m4a files. But these builds don't read/write FLAC album art, so I don't think merging the taglib-testing branch with sb-trunk-oldxul will interfere with the patched-taglib stuff.
(07-28-2015, 08:56 AM)zjays Wrote: [ -> ]I have made Linux and Mac builds using the taglib-testing branch merged in with the sb-trunk-oldxul branch (using my fork of nightingale-hacking, see here). ...
Bravo, that would be great, it's so frustrating that basic tags and cover art have not been working
properly for so long.
Iirc linux and mac tests were the only things missing for the flac album art to be merged. Johnmurrayvi reverted to an old version of taglib that is certainly incompatible with any work I did back then (as I migrated to a new API not available in the old taglib that has been patched by POTI). However, his changes are not in our tree (or I'm just unable to find them right now); merging thus seems possible.

I personally did not see any problems with the vanilla one (which, as you confirmed, seems to work on all platforms), but ilikenwf reported segfaults back then, thus the merge is still pending (I assume almost everybody forgot about it), see Issue #160. If you have a reasonably large library and can verify that no segfaults happen, that would be great. I personally do not have much flacs with album arts, as I'm usually too lazy to scan / search them, so I cannot do proper testing here.

Either way, taglib-testing does not have support for cover art writing on flacs. If that worked, you probably built something else. Note that writing cover arts to the Nightingale Library is always possible, but the cover art is then not written to the tags iirc.
(07-28-2015, 11:40 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]I personally did not see any problems with the vanilla one (which, as you confirmed, seems to work on all platforms), but ilikenwf reported segfaults back then, thus the merge is still pending (I assume almost everybody forgot about it), see Issue #160. If you have a reasonably large library and can verify that no segfaults happen, that would be great. I personally do not have much flacs with album arts, as I'm usually too lazy to scan / search them, so I cannot do proper testing here.
Hmm, it looks like from that issue, ilikenwf got crashes for trunk, taglib-testing and trunk + taglib-testing merged (albeit different debug outputs for each). So that issue may not be specific to the taglib-testing branch? I just tried importing my whole library (includes 966 flacs, all with embedded album art) on all three of my platform/builds mentioned in my last post, and all went smoothly. Since the next Nightingale release is supposed to be a Beta, maybe the taglib-testing branch can be merged for that, and if users report problems with it, it can be reverted?

(07-28-2015, 11:40 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]Either way, taglib-testing does not have support for cover art writing on flacs. If that worked, you probably built something else. Note that writing cover arts to the Nightingale Library is always possible, but the cover art is then not written to the tags iirc.
Yup, that's correct. (Edit: Except if the media file is in a watched folder. In that case, the album art displayed in Nightingale will return to the file's embedded album art after a couple seconds of changing it, see Issue #332.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4