MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Support aac files (mp4 from quicktime) on windows

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Support aac files (mp4 from quicktime) on windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Songbird supposedly could play those via the codec installed on windows by quicktime (never got it to work though).
And vlc does without a hitch :-)
But still no support in Nightingale...
...btw, running on 64bit platform, not sure if that might pose a problem to reuse codes from quicktime (64 bit version installed)
(06-16-2013, 08:42 PM)gggeek Wrote: [ -> ]Support aac files (mp4 from quicktime)

If I succeed rebuilding the gstreamer deps I can have a look if it is possible to play aac with some gstreamer plugins, if not, I fear we currently don't have the ressources for a second media core as POTI did it. And even rebuilding the deps is something that needs time I don't have at the moment.

The only quick solution I could think of is that you try to rename an aac file to mp3 or any other supported format and try to import that. If that works and you're able to play that file then we have all the decoders on board and only need to white-list the file extension aac. Sadly I don't have any aac files to test that right now.
Looking at gstreamer plugins list (http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documen...ugins.html) it seems that the FAAD should be the one available for the job - according to wikipedia it is the one used by VLC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAAC).

I have no clue about a "2nd media core", but it sure sounds like a lot of work.

Q: do you need a gstreamer+nightingale rebuild to get new gs plugins enabled, or would it be enough to grab the windows tarballs from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download, drop in the dlls and fix a few inis ?

PS: excuse my noobiness :-)
You could try the DLL's...
(06-16-2013, 11:51 PM)gggeek Wrote: [ -> ]Q: do you need a gstreamer+nightingale rebuild to get new gs plugins enabled, or would it be enough to grab the windows tarballs from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download, drop in the dlls and fix a few inis ?

In theory you can drop gstreamer plugins into nightingale's gst-plugins folder or via add-ons. Sadly I did not got the builds you link to work when I tried some time ago - but I haven't tested that on the most recent version. I think that our gstreamer might use other build flags or something, as I also had issues building that thing from scratch (and haven't succeeded yet).
I found libgstfaad.dll in the clementine player. In it it works with my aac files.

I tried renaming and dropping it to the gstreamer plugins dir of nightingale, without luck.

I checked the install.rdf in te xpi file for a songbird codec plugin, and there seems to be no codec registration needed - it only describes the plugin itself - which confirms automatic registration of any gstreamer dll found in the correct directory.

So I guess there are different compilation flags in use - the gstreamer version in use is still 0.10...
The deps within windows and mac are a little behind, as we're upgrading them as we upgrade xulrunner...that could also be it, or a buildflag...
(06-18-2013, 07:41 AM)gggeek Wrote: [ -> ]I checked the install.rdf in te xpi file for a songbird codec plugin, and there seems to be no codec registration needed

That's right, all dlls in the plugin folder are registered automatically. Seems like what I tried some time ago is still valid...
As ilikenwf said, we're trying to get a vanilla gstreamer to work on windows, which would then allow us to use all plugins.
(06-18-2013, 08:36 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2013, 07:41 AM)gggeek Wrote: [ -> ]I checked the install.rdf in te xpi file for a songbird codec plugin, and there seems to be no codec registration needed

That's right, all dlls in the plugin folder are registered automatically. Seems like what I tried some time ago is still valid...
As ilikenwf said, we're trying to get a vanilla gstreamer to work on windows, which would then allow us to use all plugins.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there was any update with this issue? I'm still receiving the error message regarding the inability to play aac files. Thanks!
(10-16-2013, 10:07 AM)NRDisciple Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there was any update with this issue? I'm still receiving the error message regarding the inability to play aac files. Thanks!

Sadly not. I haven't found the time to start bigger projects for a while now, and rebuilding the gstreamer stuff (or more precisely: getting it to build in the NG setup) will take at least two full days, more likely a week or more.
Pages: 1 2