MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - System sound, Album artwork, and an addon

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: System sound, Album artwork, and an addon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have 3 questions about Nightingale 1.12 64bit on Manjaro Linux (based on arch).
I am also running gnome 3 Desktop.

1. System sound. I have been using songbird since it came out and still use it. But I really really want to switch to nightingale. This is the only thing that is really stopping me to do so. Basically somehow Nightingale decides to change its volume. It used to push the volume up everytime it changed song, which was a pain (literally). now it puts it down to 0 every next song. if i start a song by clicking it it goes back to before. but when it changes song by itself again it goes back to 0. This is not the actual volume in the Nightingale app itself, but the one linked to system volume in the sound menu. when it used to go up it also push actual system volume up. now when it goes to zero it doesnt move the system volume only nightingales own(not app itself).

Really hope that made sense, but its terribly frustrating and doesnt happen with songbird, unless strangely if they are running together..

anyways
2. I was wondering how album artwork works. in both Songbird and Nightingale if I try to edit the id3 tags for mp3 and embed the artwork in it, they dont show up in either one. actually some songs the artwork just disappears when I play them. So is there a way to have the artwork permanent, and also work in Nightingale.

3. clones and ghost addon. for some reason if I use that it gets stuck on it. so everytime I go to my main music library it starts searching again. even though i switched to default view. then it just says there is nothing and sends me back. over and over. as of now I just disable it until i need it. but just wondering if there is a solution.

2 &3 arent that big of a thing. but #1 really kills Nightingale for me.

Thanks.
Yeah, something with the linux volume handling is really messed up. We'll have to look into this for the next release!
I am not sure if AlbumArtwork is included, but I think you had to enable writing to tags in order for it to work. The image has a maximum size, else it can't be stored inside the music file. I think with 1.12 most tagging things (expect for flac) should be more reliable. We've got a brand new taglib (tagging backend) implementation in 1.12.

Yeah, the bug with the excorsist. I have spent quite some time figuring out why it does this, and I'm still not sure, what really causes it. The only way out of it is - like you mentioned - disabling it. The add-on itself hasn't been maintained since quite a few songbird versions and needs a bit of fixing here and there.

We hope we can fix bug #1 for the next release, since linux is our "main target audience".
(04-24-2013, 01:44 AM)Da Iceman Wrote: [ -> ]2. I was wondering how album artwork works. in both Songbird and Nightingale if I try to edit the id3 tags for mp3 and embed the artwork in it, they dont show up in either one. actually some songs the artwork just disappears when I play them. So is there a way to have the artwork permanent, and also work in Nightingale.

Please assert first that you installed a recent (>= 1.8) taglib to your system.

Nightingale should set the id3 tag when you drag and drop an cover to Nightingale, given the preference for that is set (but afaik it is by default).
Changeing the ID3 tag will not change the cover inside Nightingale unless you re-import the media, as the covers are extracted while importing and then stored in your profile so you can browse a large collections without Nightingale needing to extract metadata each time you select something.
If you can not get reading or writing to work, please write a step-by-step tutorial-like list of things you did, what you expected and what actually happened. I can take a look at that part if I can reproduce it with your instructions on windows.
Ok thanks, I can't for the next version then Big Grin
ok, well I rarely use the addon anyways, very useful though. anyways I'll just keep it disabled then.

As for artwork I just checked and I have taglib 1.8-1. I will try playing with it some more, like different image sizes or re-importing. but I remember using songbird to embed artwork on like 3 songs to try then opened a id3tag editor and seeing the artwork. but for some reason nightingale not seeing them. Also using the actual tag editor too.

Anyways, I will try again, use different sizes, and re-import to see if that works and in the end let you know about that.