MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Play audio over network

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Play audio over network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The one thing I miss from my Mac is the ability to stream music over the network to the various Airport Expresses that we have around the house. Linux support for Airplay is poor, and I've not ever got it to work without stuttering.

I've also bought a Raspberry Pi, so I'm wondering if I can resurrect my dream to get synchronised music back in all my rooms.

A few ideas:
1) It seems that xmbc can emulate Logitech squeezebox server/players to stream music over the network. Is there a similar way to do this in Nightingale.
2) Alternatively, I also have some DLNA devices (e.g. a DVD player), but if I understand correctly, this will not keep the audio synchronised (and I'd probably have to leave on the TV).
3) I just read a link about streaming using pulseaudio. Would this work in Nightingale? It seems the most straightforward option.
We currently don't offer any support for neither of the three protocols. However each of them could be integrated with an add-on.
At the moment the only option you could try, would be the songbird DLNA add-on to use Nightignale as server or client. You would have to modify the install.rdf and use a recent nightly.
I was under the impression that most desktop environments used pulseaudio as default? In particular, gnome and kde? (I use the latter.) I might misunderstand, though?
Oh, well pulse could work, since it looks like streaming based on the playback part of pulse. If you use pulse on your system, it should work with any audiooutput.
Thanks. I'll check out the pulseaudio option when I get a chance, and report back here with results.