MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Nightingale using 100% of CPU

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale using 100% of CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've noticed for a year or so now that Nightingale will occasionally use 100% of one core. I have to restart it to release the core. I've noticed this occurring more frequently in the past few months, perhaps after a few minutes rather than hours.

In addition, when Nightingale starts up initially, it hovers at about 50% of a core (compared to Firefox at 3%, with 140 tabs open). I've tried disabling all add-ons, but it still uses about 50% of a core (I haven't tried to run it to 100%).

I installed nightingale from the repo (ppa:trebelnik-stefina/nightingale), and am using version 1.11.1.5~quantal (amd64).

Thanks in advance.

Addendum: it might be related to this similar problem.
This is probably because we're using an old xulrunner in current releases. We're working on porting to the current one, but progress is slow because we don't have a lot of devs.

It will be much more "firefox-like" once we get to the current xulrunner release.
Ah okay. So do you also see 100% usage occasionally? If it's a "known bug" then fine, but I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't something specific to my system (and hence potentially fixable now). Thanks.
I don't know that I do personally...

A lot of the time I find that issues like this end up being because the client wasn't compiled on the distro it's running on, or the distro it's running on has a newer version of libraries we use. That can cause issues sometimes...it may just mean it's time for a rebuild of trunk on Ubuntu...
Okay, fair enough. I'll wait patiently. Smile
I have got 8 cores on my laptop, so it's not absolutely dire, but the constantly maxed-out fan is a little tiring! Thanks for the replies.
High CPU utilization has also been discussed in this thread.
http://forum.getnightingale.com/thread-603.html

Things have improved slightly with Nightingale 1.12, but it still causes a higher CPU load, even when not playing anything at all.
Using openSUSE 12.3 here. I've added a screenshot to visualize the load caused by Nightingale, and how the load drops when closing it.
I actually felt that 1.12 might have solved it for me, but I can't say this with any certainty, since I've not used 1.12 much because of the play-count bug.
It seems the high CPU problem doesn't occur anymore with a self-compiled Nightingale 1.12.1 nightly version.
Now just hoping the play count issue is going to be fixed soon.