MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Nightingale finds iTunes library file, but not music files

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale finds iTunes library file, but not music files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently switched to Ubuntu 12.04 from that joke, Windows 7... but this has been pretty hilarious, too. Tongue

I've tried out all of the music players I can find to replace iTunes and NONE of them can do the extremely simple and essential task of importing and connecting my library and music. Huh

I like Nightingale and want to stick with it, but whenever I try importing my iTunes Library, it imports for like 10 minutes and comes back with the message:
"27053 of 27053 files can not be found"

Then my whole library (unfortunately sans the old Date Added info) is visible in Nightingale, but when I click to play a song, a Playback Error says "there was an error playing "Through Us". The file can not be found."... and starts checking every song and saying the same thing.

I've attempted all different possible settings in Nightingale and gone through all these Forum posts about somewhat similar issues and nothing changes it.

Why doesn't Nightingale ask to locate a file when it can't find it, like every other program? It's really absurd how needlessly complicated all this computer nonsense is... it's 1s and 0s, straight forward, if you're gonna do it, get it right. Dodgy

I tried editing the iTunes Music Library.xml file to replace the Windows file paths with Ubuntu paths, but the same happened again.

Any help getting my music set and playing would be much appreciated... and there must be tons of people experiencing similar things.

Thanks Smile Heart
First trying running this command from a terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
This will give you the ability to play proprietary sound formats. Then go to Edit-> Preferences -> Media Importer -> Watch Folder
Then select "Browse" and choose your iTunes music folder. See if that works for importing.
(01-31-2013, 12:25 AM)Timmythepirate Wrote: [ -> ]First trying running this command from a terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0
This will give you the ability to play proprietary sound formats. Then go to Edit-> Preferences -> Media Importer -> Watch Folder
Then select "Browse" and choose your iTunes music folder. See if that works for importing.
I tried that get update, and it didn't seem to change anything.
I have mostly .m4a files, and some .mp3 (shoulda started out with .mp3 before committing my library to such an unfriendly loner format).
I have been able to import my files directly, and also able to import my iTunes xml library file... but only seperately and they will not connect and work together... I can have one or the other so far.
How do I get the xml Library file connect to my .m4a/mp3 files that they were connected to before? I tried changing the file paths in the xml file (from "/C/.../itunes music" to "/home/username" ...would that be the/a way to do it, and am I doing that correctly or is there more to it?

Thank you
You need to edit the itunes xml file and import it, and change the windows-style file paths inside to reflect your new unix style file paths. I actually had to do this several years ago when I dropped windows for linux.

C:\My Music\blah\blah\blah.mp3 -> /path/to/your/drive/My\ Music/blah/blah/blah.mp3

Note the \ to escape the spaces and special characters in the new file path.

If you still have windows installed, you could write the iTunes metadata to the music files before importing them directly in Nightingale, and avoid needing iTunes' library file in the first place Smile
(01-31-2013, 07:54 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]You need to edit the itunes xml file and import it, and change the windows-style file paths inside to reflect your new unix style file paths. I actually had to do this several years ago when I dropped windows for linux.

C:\My Music\blah\blah\blah.mp3 -> /path/to/your/drive/My\ Music/blah/blah/blah.mp3

Note the \ to escape the spaces and special characters in the new file path.

If you still have windows installed, you could write the iTunes metadata to the music files before importing them directly in Nightingale, and avoid needing iTunes' library file in the first place Smile
Looks like I finally got it to work. I didn't understand at first what you meant about the slash mark... but did you mean that "\" is the Linux equivalent to the "%20" spacer in file names in windows?

I had to edit the iTunes Library xml file with XML Copy Editor (which was a whole hassle of it's own), and Replace all instances of...

"localhost/C:/Users/username/Desktop/folder/Music/iTunes%20Music" (windows)
...with...
"localhost/home/username/Music" (Ubuntu)

It was not clear at exactly which point to start and end for this replacement/whether to include localhost/if "%20" works in Linux/etcetera. But I finally got the path switch that made it work.

I switched over to Ubuntu for simplicity and freedom and so far I've wasted many full days with little BS like this, freezing constantly, having to look up complicated and hard to find codes to perform the simplest of tasks are a high priority to any user, and just all sorts of trouble that the typical user has no clue how to handle. This reflects our culture quite well though, a bunch of pointless nonsense piled on distractions that makes it all more difficult and less efficient. I also think we're all doing better and better, and this is at least far more positive of a direction that the windows culture crash course.

Thank you for your help, and I hope this can save some others some trouble.
------------
<key>Show Content Ratings</key><true/>
<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://localhost/C:/Users/(username)/Desktop/(my folder)/Music/iTunes%20Music/</string>
<key>Library Persistent ID</key><string>3B462F02087C0842</string>
------------
...and the path to my music files is now
Hm... so the library and files all made it in there, with all the important extra metadata included, like Play Count and Rating, and the Date Added didn't transfer, but the music did stay in the same order as it was when sorted by Date Added, which is very nice... but being able get the actual dates transferred would be nice in the future.

Now it looks like all I have to do is figure out how to get my playlists connected to the music in them. They appear in the left sidebar, but are all empty.
The playlists are from iTunes and saved as .txt, and the file paths are in windows format, like the xml file was. I had "import iTunes playlists" checked when I imported my Library with Preferences > iTunes Import/Export.

It seems as though Nightingale will not accept the .txt playlist file format.
I tried replacing the file path in one of the playlists and then importing it, but nothing happened.

What do I have to do to get these playlists working with and connected to my music files? Do I need to change the file paths AND convert the playlists to a different format? Or is there an easier way, or an app or something to help?
I'm not sure about that functionality, honestly. I wonder if you could convert them to m3u playlists using vlc or something? I think that Ngale will accept those...maybe...
If the playlists are a plain list of linux file paths, you should be able to rename them to m3u and import it as m3u playlist, don't think it is necessary to go through yet another program.

The format I think of is:
Code:
/path/to/music/song1.mp3
/path/to/music/song2.mp3
/path/to/music/song3.mp3
Yes, iTunes import sucks. It's actually pretty broken. Like a lot. We would have to overwork it and actually use the itl file instead of the xml file to get stuff like smart playlists and playcounts. There is a java project, extracting all the infos from the itl file and putting them into an xml. As soon as I want my music back properly, I'll probably try and create n add-on to import those xml files.
(02-01-2013, 10:51 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, iTunes import sucks. It's actually pretty broken. Like a lot. We would have to overwork it and actually use the itl file instead of the xml file to get stuff like smart playlists and playcounts. There is a java project, extracting all the infos from the itl file and putting them into an xml. As soon as I want my music back properly, I'll probably try and create n add-on to import those xml files.

Sounds good!