MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Batch changing path of music files

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Batch changing path of music files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just changed some paths around on my computer (with the installation of a new SSD). As a consequence, the directory containing my music files has moved.

With the demise of music management from Songbird, what is the best way to change where Nightingale looks for all the files, while maintaining all the (Nightingale) metadata.

Cheers.

P.S. I've looked in ~/.nightingale and ~/.nightingale2 . It seems the latter is depreciated? In any case, I couldn't find any obvious plain-text candidates to modify from there.
(12-29-2012, 12:14 PM)sparhawk Wrote: [ -> ]I've just changed some paths around on my computer (with the installation of a new SSD). As a consequence, the directory containing my music files has moved.

I don't know if there is a way to change the path for files in the Library, I actually doubt it. What I'd do is to make the old path a link pointing to the new path. That should even work for Windows.
Are you sure? Even if I have to do it manually that could be an option. I think I read somewhere that the library was stored as an sqlite database, but unfortunately I know nothing about sqlite. At very least I could convert sqlite to csv (or whatever text-based format), do a simple search-and-replace (s/old_path/new_path/) then convert back.
(12-29-2012, 09:38 PM)sparhawk Wrote: [ -> ]I think I read somewhere that the library was stored as an sqlite database

It is, should be stored in
Code:
~/.nightingale/Profiles/(random stuff).default/db/main@library.songbirdnest.com.db

However, a database contains more than the tables, so I don't think csv is a suitable format to go through. I'd recommend something like SQLite Database Browser for that.

Which metadata is important for you? For ratings, import dates, skip- and play counts you can use the RatingFile add-on, that's what I wrote it for. However if you need really all data I think there is no other way than editing the sqlite itself.
Thanks! Yes, I forgot about the RatingFile add-on! I have used that before, which worked very well. I just tried it and it worked well! (I exported ratings, deleted the library, re-imported the songs, then imported ratings.)

Also, is it okay to delete ~/.nightingale2 ? Was this just used for a previous version of Nightingale?

--edit I just tried it and it worked.
(12-30-2012, 07:00 AM)sparhawk Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is it okay to delete ~/.nightingale2 ? Was this just used for a previous version of Nightingale?

This folder was used by Nightingale 1.8 only. So as you already tried, you can safely delete it Wink