MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - [Issue + Wish] Syncronization tool does not "Update" modified files.

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: [Issue + Wish] Syncronization tool does not "Update" modified files.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have seen this behavior in both, Songbird and Nightingale, under Kubuntu 12.04

And it is, if I update a file (either with Tagscan -wine-, Clementine -native-, or Nightingale/Songbird -both native-), the sync tool appears not to see the "modified date", and therefore does not copy the song at the time of sync.

I'm not sure where it does the add-on sees the dates for updating the files, but when I check the results of the sync (using Mp3Tag under wine) and look at the modified date, it is not the one I was expecting (It keeps being older than the recently edited file), and even more, the old data is still on the "synced" file. So it is not updated at all (With that option checked).

Of course, I have seen this issue when sync to a local folder. Not tested it directly with a device.

On the other hand, I might want to make a request/wish of feature for the sync tool.

And it is to have an option to create symlinks instead to copy each file to the target folder (I have not seen that option on the sync tool).

Not sure if that is possible on every platform (or even possible by the codding language itself), but in Linux might be very useful for those, like me, that need to make sure all the tags can be read in their players.

Well, it is. Thank you for reading!
PD: Thank you for this fine tool.
(07-03-2012, 05:28 PM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure where it does the add-on sees the dates for updating the files, but when I check the results of the sync (using Mp3Tag under wine) and look at the modified date, it is not the one I was expecting (It keeps being older than the recently edited file), and even more, the old data is still on the "synced" file. So it is not updated at all (With that option checked).
I'm quite sure found the bug Smile I'm currently rebuilding and will update this post when I got some test extension for you.
Edit: Songbird Add-on updated, also fixed in NG core. If you rebuild from sb-trunk-oldxul or nightingale-1.11, it should work now.
For Windows I can provide you a temporary extension overriding the core add-on if you like.

(07-03-2012, 05:28 PM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]option to create symlinks instead to copy each file to the target folder (I have not seen that option on the sync tool).

Not sure if that is possible on every platform (or even possible by the codding language itself), but in Linux might be very useful for those, like me, that need to make sure all the tags can be read in their players.
How does a symlink help a player to read tags properly? Maybe there is a way to solve your issue without doing symlinks... unfortunately I haven't seen a way to create symlinks when browsing the mozilla development pages. The only thing I could think of would be calling an external tool for every file to sync or something as crappy as that Tongue
(07-04-2012, 11:20 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]I'm quite sure found the bug Smile I'm currently rebuilding and will update this post when I got some test extension for you.
Edit: Songbird Add-on updated, also fixed in NG core. If you rebuild from sb-trunk-oldxul or nightingale-1.11, it should work now.
For Windows I can provide you a temporary extension overriding the core add-on if you like.

Wow, thank you. I'll give it a check once I'm able to. Since the update is also available for songbird, I'll give a shot on it there, and if I have enough time, try then tom compile and test it on nightingale.

(07-04-2012, 11:20 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]How does a symlink help a player to read tags properly? Maybe there is a way to solve your issue without doing symlinks... unfortunately I haven't seen a way to create symlinks when browsing the mozilla development pages. The only thing I could think of would be calling an external tool for every file to sync or something as crappy as that Tongue

Hehehe, it is not the symlink, but I actually sync using FreeFileSync (Yes, really) and it does support converting symlinks to real files on target sync folder. I use it as a my last step check after I have checked every file with Mp3Tag.

I know it is crappy, but since my player(s) does not like ID3v2.4, I have to check all the files I'm about to copy to them (I edit sometimes batches of files with Clementine, and finding them on a 50k items library is problematic) and then even add certain tags to make sure they show the rating on the device (PlayerPro/Android).

But since I said earlier, this might be more like a wish (To do not be repeating the steps every time I want to sync my devices), but I was kind-of aware that this may not be possible at all because I have myself searched for the CopyTo function on the mozilla website, but not found anything related to links too...

But in any case, thanks! I'm going to check/test the add-on later!
Well, I have tested the new version, and I must say that it does now detect the updated files, and then the SyncTool updated the files properly!

See the 4 last files:
[Image: dates.png]

I updated early a bunch of files, and after syncing them to a special folder, I did then edited (added lyrics to 3, and "pinged" one, just updating its modified date) some files, and the tool recognized the changes and updated the files properly.

Now, there is an issue. The Folder Sync is not able now to "create/update" playlists. When the sync gets completed, it complains with the next error:

Quote:Files/Folders with a [-] sign could not get deleted, those with a [+] sign could not get copied:

[+] /home/kadai/Desktop/Checktool/1st Division (100 ~ 10v).m3u

When I checked the folder, I saw the playlist was there, but it was a 0 bytes file. And it was neither updated (it kept the original date, and size).

I tested it with Songbird 2.1.x (Daily builds) on Kubuntu 12.04 b4 bits.

I still have pending to test it on Nightingale.
(07-06-2012, 05:06 PM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]Now, there is an issue. The Folder Sync is not able now to "create/update" playlists. When the sync gets completed, it complains with the next error:

Quote:Files/Folders with a [-] sign could not get deleted, those with a [+] sign could not get copied:

Maybe the character '~' is not allowed in folder paths? If so I forgot that one... go into the profile's advanced section and add it to the list of characters to replace, then try it again. If not, go to about:config and set extensions.foldersync.debugLevel to 5, then post the messages you get in the error console when syncing (Tools menu).
(07-06-2012, 11:39 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2012, 05:06 PM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]Now, there is an issue. The Folder Sync is not able now to "create/update" playlists. When the sync gets completed, it complains with the next error:

Maybe the character '~' is not allowed in folder paths? If so I forgot that one... go into the profile's advanced section and add it to the list of characters to replace, then try it again. If not, go to about:config and set extensions.foldersync.debugLevel to 5, then post the messages you get in the error console when syncing (Tools menu).

The "~" is allowed on folder/name paths. I have synced with no problems in the past with the later version. None the less, I tested the sync once again using the debug settings, but it never showed me any warning or error.

Sync tool told me it was "properly copied", but still I got the very same message every time (with the exact symptoms):

Code:
FolderSync: Event raised in 'sync-sync':
Write playlist '/home/kadai/Desktop/Checktool/9th Division (100 10^ 10v).m3u'

Sometimes even, Folder Sync deleted the playlist, and did not created it again (I expected to see at least the 0 bytes file, but it was gone).

But then, I remembered that I was using a NTFS partition as the target folder in Folder Sync, so then I gave it another shot on that partition.

Interestingly, it worked without any problem there. The playlist was correctly created and populated.

So, I think it has to do with the EXT4 partition itself, but it should not. Not sure if this may be related to the fact that I have installed Kubuntu "Inside Windows" (via wubi, it being mounted at /dev/loop0), but it should be transparent to the system and software.

FolderSync updates/creates the files correctly on NTFS and EXT4, but the playlist are another history on EXT4 (they just don't get created there, and I'm not given exact reason of why it is happening).

Edit Notes:
I even checked with a playlist whose name was "name", to see if there was another possible cause of the error, but I still got the same message.

Code:
Files/Folders with a [-] sign could not get deleted, those with a [+] sign could not get copied:[+] /home/kadai/Desktop/Checktool/name.m3u

Please note that I have tested this only on Songbird.
(07-07-2012, 03:49 AM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]None the less, I tested the sync once again using the debug settings, but it never showed me any warning or error.

Are you really sure about you checked the error console (Tools|Error console...)? If so, you probably did not set the correct debug level? Can you double-check that "extensions.FolderSync.debugLevel" is set to "5" instead of the default value "3"? If there are really no messages in there, something really strange is going on.
(07-07-2012, 04:35 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2012, 03:49 AM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]None the less, I tested the sync once again using the debug settings, but it never showed me any warning or error.

Are you really sure about you checked the error console (Tools|Error console...)? If so, you probably did not set the correct debug level? Can you double-check that "extensions.FolderSync.debugLevel" is set to "5" instead of the default value "3"? If there are really no messages in there, something really strange is going on.

Pretty sure the config was correct, and that I was watching on the correct place. Checked it none the less once again. And the problem is still there.

Here are some screenshots:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7779/consolexs.png
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2536/...second.png

But then, like I said, it -may- be my installation, or my system not behaving correctly after being running 24+ hours (I hope). Going to check at it later when I restart Kubuntu.

But yes, I was expecting myself to see warning or errors appearing on the console, but nothing. Just messages.
(07-07-2012, 05:28 AM)kadai Wrote: [ -> ]But yes, I was expecting myself to see warning or errors appearing on the console, but nothing. Just messages.

I was thinking you speak of no messages popping up at all... I already expected no warning or error to appear, as they should cause a sync failed window.

Unfortunately I discovered that there is no easy way to copy the error console's content... Please do the following:
Before syncing, open the error console. Evaluate the following code:
Code:
var cs=Components. classes["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"]. getService(Components. interfaces. nsIConsoleService); var l={cs:cs, s:"", observe:function(aMessage){this. s+=aMessage. message; if(aMessage. message=='[[[[[LOG:END]]]]]'){alert(this. s); this. cs. unregisterListener(this); }this. s+="\n-------------------------------------------------------------------------------\n"}, show:function(){alert(this. s); }, QueryInterface:function(iid){if(!iid. equals(Components. interfaces. nsIConsoleListener)&&!iid. equals(Components. interfaces. nsISupports)){throw Components. results. NS_ERROR_NO_INTERFACE; }return this; }}; cs. registerListener(l); var consoleService = Components. classes["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"]. getService(Components. interfaces. nsIConsoleService); consoleService. logStringMessage('[[[[[LOG:START]]]]]')
After that, do the sync. After that, evaluate the following code:
Code:
var consoleService = Components. classes["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"]. getService(Components. interfaces. nsIConsoleService); consoleService. logStringMessage('[[[[[LOG:END]]]]]')
A (long) dialog should pop up, but in contrast to the error console you should be able to select everything with ctrl-a and then hit ctrl-c to copy it to clipbord. Pastebin it (select to save the data for at least a month) and insert the link you get here.

Maybe that helps to find the issue Wink

Edit: the word wrap of the forum broke the code, it should work now.
Ha! Brilliant! (total kudos to you)

I have posted the paste here: http://pastebin.com/ksVf7eN3

And after having saw it briefly, this took my attention (lines 99 to 102):

Code:
[JavaScript Error: "FolderSync: Event raised in 'sync-sync':
Writing playlist failed:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFileOutputStream.init]"  nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://foldersync/content/sync.js :: anonymous :: line 1059"  data: no]" {file: "chrome://foldersync/content/sync.js" line: 1059}]

It was not on the console output at all (and if it was, it was well hidden).

Now, this is interesting, why the playlist generator is getting the NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED while the regular files do not?

I tought it has to do with the fact that the files were "updated", but that is not the case. I "touched" the file I'm using to test this, but that song got updated correctly. Here is the paste bin with that result (sadly, it got striped at the end, but it still appears the successful copy): http://pastebin.com/7ngjg2FV

Then, I searched around, and I found this thread: http://fixunix.com/mozilla/407468-ns_err...i-get.html

The first thing that had come to my mind then was to check the permissions of the file... and I have found the next: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9130/notallowed.png

The created playlist had no set permissions at all!!

I was not even able to edit the file on kate/nano as a normal user. Only as a super user.

So, there is the problem... when FolderSync creates the playlist, it does not set the permissions, so it can't write the contents to it.

At least the EXT* file systems seems to be affected by this, because the playlist created on the NTFS partition had the permissions set by the driver.
Pages: 1 2