MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Nightingale on Windows 7 - Crashes on importing library

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale on Windows 7 - Crashes on importing library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I am trying to run Nightingale on Windows but come across the same issue whenever I try to import my music library.

I am not asking it to import my itunes xml file but scan the music directory because I have gone through and fixed a lot of the duplicates etc after getting rid of itunes.

When I ask nightingale to scan this drive, it starts well and the almost immediately windows puts a message on screen saying that this program has stopped working, nightingale then appears to carry on (HDD activity) but nothing further outputs to the screen. I have to close the program.

Any ideas would be really good - this does not appear to happen in songbird, but I like that Nightingale supports ipod, and I will be changing over one of my machines to ubuntu soon and wanted to have the same experience.

Thanks!

(05-15-2012, 05:15 AM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]Any ideas would be really good - this does not appear to happen in songbird, but I like that Nightingale supports ipod, and I will be changing over one of my machines to ubuntu soon and wanted to have the same experience.

I don't know anything about iPod support. You can fill any MSC device, but afaik Apple does not comply to the standard. There are other advantages, as for example system gstreamer on linux, or the possibility to influence the development (Songbird does not want a community around their product anymore).

(05-15-2012, 05:15 AM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]When I ask nightingale to scan this drive, it starts well and the almost immediately windows puts a message on screen saying that this program has stopped working, nightingale then appears to carry on (HDD activity) but nothing further outputs to the screen. I have to close the program.

What does happen if you do not import music, but drag your music folder into Nightingale's library after it started for the first time?
Also, does importing single songs (by drag and drop or via menu) work for you?

Maybe you experience a bug I were not able to reproduce yet, which probably is related to metadata parsing!?
Thanks, I'll try dragging the folder or importing a single file.

I have just read about the ipod support... I might use rockbox as mine is not that new, or just ebay it and replace with something that does conform to some kind of standards (recommendations?) I like the large capacity though...

Will post my results.

Thanks!
(05-15-2012, 06:01 AM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]I have just read about the ipod support... I might use rockbox as mine is not that new, or just ebay it and replace with something that does conform to some kind of standards (recommendations?) I like the large capacity though...

Rockbox should work well, as it supports MSC - we even support a (Rockbox-specific) play count and rating transfer feature Smile
Thanks, I tried dragging and the same happens. It gets to a certain point (about 1mm) along the progress bar and crashes again. With a single song nothing seems to happen either - the progress bar flashes up and the disappears, but if I look for the song, it's not there.

Thanks.

(05-15-2012, 09:35 PM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I tried dragging and the same happens. It gets to a certain point (about 1mm) along the progress bar and crashes again. With a single song nothing seems to happen either - the progress bar flashes up and the disappears, but if I look for the song, it's not there.

Thanks.

So you have a empty library, and importing fails without hanging, correct?
Can you check if there are "invisible" items in your library? That happens when metadata parsing has issues; rows look like empty but can be played by double-clicking them. Try to double-click the first row in library to check that.
Yes, windows reports the program has stopped working.

What you suggest is exactly true - empty lines that can them be played.

(05-15-2012, 09:54 PM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, windows reports the program has stopped working.

So it does crash/hang. :/

What files are in your music library (mp3/ogg/flac/...)? Is there some music that allows sharing (such as licensed with a CC license) and causing the issue? If so, please upload that file as attatchment (or dropbox/mediafire if the file is too big).
Yes it does hang. My music library is a combination of mp3 and m4a (unencrypted). Does nightingale have issues with m4a?

Thanks

(05-15-2012, 10:18 PM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it does hang. My music library is a combination of mp3 and m4a (unencrypted).
Does the problem only occur on m4a files, or also with mp3?

(05-15-2012, 10:18 PM)freeman80 Wrote: [ -> ]Does nightingale have issues with m4a?
There are reports describing a similar issue, there is one major bug you might run into. Some report issues with wma and mp4, some also with mp3. It might be very helpful to get a file always causing the issue, as we might be able to reproduce it more easy then.
Maybe the issue will go away when migrating to a recent version of taglib. Also, the issue is Windows-only and I have not been able to reproduce it in debug mode.
Pages: 1 2