MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Flash on Linux?

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Flash on Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Nightingale to play nicely with Flash on my Fedora 16 (86_64) box. I currently have Firefox, Chrome and Midori browsers installed with Flash working fine in all.

I remember from Songbird days that symlinking to a flash library would solve the issue. In that vein, I've exhausted every possible symlink combination of the following flash libraries and plugin locations (restarting Ngale between each):

Flash libraries:
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Ngale Plugin locations:
~/.nightingale/nightingale/xulrunner/plugins
~/.nightingale/plugins
~/.nightingale/nightingale/plugins
~/.nightingale/<profile>/plugins

The only results I've gotten so far are either no Flash detected at all, or a broken Flash that lags the page and doesn't work.

I've installed the latest Flash rpm from Adobe (11.1.102.63-release.x86_64) and I'm running Nightingale 1.11.0, Build 0 (20120305120959).

I'm out of ideas. Anyone got any other possible solutions?
(03-16-2012, 09:59 AM)scotthomas Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting Nightingale to play nicely with Flash on my Fedora 16 (86_64) box. I currently have Firefox, Chrome and Midori browsers installed with Flash working fine in all.

I remember from Songbird days that symlinking to a flash library would solve the issue. In that vein, I've exhausted every possible symlink combination of the following flash libraries and plugin locations (restarting Ngale between each):

Flash libraries:
/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile>/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Ngale Plugin locations:
~/.nightingale/nightingale/xulrunner/plugins
~/.nightingale/plugins
~/.nightingale/nightingale/plugins
~/.nightingale/<profile>/plugins

The only results I've gotten so far are either no Flash detected at all, or a broken Flash that lags the page and doesn't work.

I've installed the latest Flash rpm from Adobe (11.1.102.63-release.x86_64) and I'm running Nightingale 1.11.0, Build 0 (20120305120959).

I'm out of ideas. Anyone got any other possible solutions?

Other people have had this problem in the past. You have to make a symbolic link between libflashplayer.so and the plugins folder inside the Nightingale program directory. For example I have flash installed in
Code:
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
and I have Nightingale installed in
Code:
/usr/share/nightingale
So, I got flash to work by making a link between the flash .so and the nightingale/plugins directory. This is the command I used to get flash to work.
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/share/nightingale/plugins/libflashplayer.so
The problem that people have is that they try to make a link in the ~/.nightingale folder, which doesn't work for some reason.
(03-16-2012, 11:42 AM)Timmythepirate Wrote: [ -> ]This is the command I used to get flash to work.
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/share/nightingale/plugins/libflashplayer.so
The problem that people have is that they try to make a link in the ~/.nightingale folder, which doesn't work for some reason.

Thanks for the reply Timmy

I moved my Nightingale instance into /usr/share/ as you suggested, then created a symlink for each of the libflashplayer.so files on my machine in turn.

Unfortunately none of them worked. Using this method, Nightingale asks me to install Flash.

*sigh*

I'm guessing it's probably a Flash issue, but I'll try an older Linux build of Songbird to be sure (as I've had that working before).
Try making a symbolic link just to Adobe Flash's libflashplayer.so, I don't know if other versions of Flash will work.
We could also bundle the plugin with the application. I was able to do so for another XULRunner application of mine, but I don't know whether the licences of NG allow it. Anyway, I put the files flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so in %installdir%/plugins and it worked.
Should I apply for Flash Player distribution at Adobe? That would probably make the life of Linux users easier...
No bundling with flash - that's not a good idea, and I don't think it's license allows redistribution in that manner anyway.
No flash. And it seems only Google Chrome will be able to ship Flash on Linux in the future.
Anyway, Flash will soon be dead...
Hooray!
Meh, I wanted Flash mainly for Youtube and Grooveshark.
I'm sure I can find alternatives or workarounds.

Thanks all for your input.