MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Am Currently Working on The Latest Songbird -> Nightengale

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Am Currently Working on The Latest Songbird -> Nightengale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
..and I need help from coders...I'm hacking around and so far I've done several things but I'm in progress in getting system xulrunner libs working with this build process. I'm getting a weird build error that I can't track down.

While the naysayers may say we can't use the system xulrunner because of patches, who cares? We can develop around any issues we encounter. Right now songbird is WAY behind on their xulrunner version, not to mention their mozilla version.

Let's get this built so it only uses system libraries, and any external/songbird exclusive ones are the only dependencies we keep.

Once I have a place to push these files hopefully you guys can help me. I'm developing on archlinux x86_64, and I'm going to guess that some of my hacking will not/may not be compatible with your distro. If this is the case, we'll develop a distro independent workaround.

Errors below:

Code:
rm -f -r /media/disk/Linux/makepkg/songbird/compiled/dist/chrome/stage
make[6]: Leaving directory `/media/disk/Linux/makepkg/songbird/compiled/dependencies/vendor/mozbrowser/base'
make[5]: Leaving directory `/media/disk/Linux/makepkg/songbird/compiled/dependencies/vendor/mozbrowser'
install -c -m 0755  /media/disk/Linux/makepkg/songbird/compiled/dist/gst-plugins/libgstcoreelements.so
install: missing destination file operand after `/media/disk/Linux/makepkg/songbird/compiled/dist/gst-plugins/libgstcoreelements.so'
Try `install --help' for more information.
make[4]: *** [/media/disk/Linux/makepkg/songbird/compiled/dist/gst-plugins/libgstcoreelements.so] Error 1

Also, some useful patches may be available at http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mozillateam...n/patches/, I've applied a couple (by hand) but haven't gotten to their point in the build process yet due to the above (and probably several (hundred? lol)) future ones,
Nice! I really want to see Nightingale use only the system xulrunner, gstreamer, etc. I wish I could help you, but my knowledge of programming is next to nill. But, if you create a distro-agnostic version of what your working on I would be more than happy to test for errors or give feedback on it.
Well, I've gotten further...it's still not building but I'm getting closer. I'm modding as I go to get the build system to use the system's local libs. Unfortunately, it still is copying them all to the build directory for some (stupid) reason...

I think Nightengale may be as good as dead except for the lingering hope by people it may succeed. If I end up getting Songbird (current) working the way I want it to, I may start my own fork project...

Either way, I'll keep stuff like that posted here too.

Also, I'm building x86_64 deps for songbird to tide us over for now, so we can at least build a linux 64 bit native package, even if it is a blob.

Finally, my working git repo (not building, but the one I'm working on) is at https://github.com/ilikenwf/songbird-hacking

Call me lazy if you'd like but it's a hybrid repo - I'm doing both git and svn, rather than use git-svn because I really don't need the svn history, but I like the luxury of being able to merge in fresh songbird code from time to time, and push it to github.

If anyone here can code, please let me know if you'd like to help.
I actually know (some) C++ [EDIT: and some js too], but am willing to understand more.
It would be nice, if you'd open issues so I know what I should try.
I don't like working on a fork and do a pull request btw.
Cool, always happy to have help since this project is dead if not just stagnant.

Issues? Huh? As for the fork/pull request, I don't understand what you mean there either.
(09-17-2011, 05:49 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]Cool, always happy to have help since this project is dead if not just stagnant.

Sorry but my understanding is that GeekShadow was doing the work but there were still one or two issues to be dealt with such as the skin. Have you taken over from him?
Nope, I'm off on my own. There haven't been checkins on Nightengale svn in ages, I believe.
In that case, I would love to help you but I am no developer, sounds like I'm in similar situation as the person above

Is there an idiots guide to converting code from songbird to nightingale.

PM me if there is anything basic that I can help with or suggestions for things I can do.
Well, normally you can't commit to a strangers repository. Then you fork it to your own workspace and make a pull request to the owner of the original repository and he will merge it. But it would be nice if I could get direct access to the repository Big Grin
Make a single patch to fix something so I know I can trust you and then you can have access once I see you have the skills... ok?
Pages: 1 2