MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Gnome Globalmenu Support

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Gnome Globalmenu Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While this isn't exactly priority, I think this might help give some people more incentive to use Nightingale.

I, like many others, use the gnome2-globalmenu panel applet to emulate the global menu system from OS X. However, since Firefox isn't truly GTK+ compliant, it didn't work with the globalmenu.

Except now someone's made an add-on for Firefox 3.5.x that makes it compatible with gnome2-globalmenu. It doesn't work for Firefox 4 yet, though.

I think we should modify this plugin to work with Nightingale and have it come with Nightingale by default. That way if someone is using global menus, Nightingale will automatically work with it. And if the user doesn't use the global menu, everything will still work fine.

Here's where you can get the plugin and the source:
http://spliceosome.deviantart.com/#/d32qe2v

I'll be working on it to see if I can get it to work with Nightingale, but I have very very little experience with C++, though I'm willing to try working with it.
I am not sure if it's a good idea to include it as default, or at least disable it as default since loading plugins takes time, and therefor NG will have bad performance. However, making it a recommended addon would be a good idea.
It would consume more performance to implement it as an add-on than to implement it natively but I think too few people use it, so we shouldn't include this in the core.
That's true that it would take time to load the plugin. Although I think more people use the gnome-globalmenu than you might think. Maybe not enough to justify adding it to the core, but still.

I would at least like such a plugin to be available because it would help blend Nightingale with my Mac-emulated environment.
With the upcoming version of Ubuntu I think the global menu will be more and more used... I guess that's not the most important feature developers should focus on, but it's still a good idea