MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Trouble playing online radio (Ogg stream)

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Trouble playing online radio (Ogg stream)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nightingale (and Songbird before it) is the only player I know that can handle Ogg streams properly- everything else I've tried won't show the track tags while playing. But it always stops whenever the stream plays anything only a few seconds long, and I have to double-click it to get it started again.

I was really hoping this would have been fixed by now. Maybe it's something that hasn't come up before? Is there any way of preventing it?

This is the station I'm specifically having trouble with: http://themushroomkingdom.net/wtmk.shtml
(05-18-2016, 06:56 PM)tymime Wrote: [ -> ]But it always stops whenever the stream plays anything only a few seconds long, and I have to double-click it to get it started again.

I'm unsure what you mean? Does the stream always stop after a few seconds?

How do you play the stream? By browsing to the site and using the playlist displayed below the page, via DirectTune or through some completely different mechanism?

Either way I'd guess that the issue is unlikely within Nightingale, but within gstreamer (the framework we use for playback). As we're several versions behind the current version of gstreamer due to compatibility issues the issue might be already fixed there. There has been some effort to update to a recent gstreamer, but I cannot quite recall if that project is useable.
(05-19-2016, 04:35 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]I'm unsure what you mean? Does the stream always stop after a few seconds?
Whenever the stream starts to play a track that's only a few seconds long, it stops and won't start again until I double-click it. It has no problem with longer tracks.

(05-19-2016, 04:35 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]How do you play the stream? By browsing to the site and using the playlist displayed below the page, via DirectTune or through some completely different mechanism?
I just download the M3U and open it in Nightingale.
(05-19-2016, 08:03 AM)tymime Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2016, 04:35 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]I'm unsure what you mean? Does the stream always stop after a few seconds?
Whenever the stream starts to play a track that's only a few seconds long, it stops and won't start again until I double-click it. It has no problem with longer tracks.

Weird. I have no idea how ogg streams are built, but from that behavior I'd guess that the stream is not one continuous stream, but consists of substreams for each track?! If so, I could imagine that gstreamer tries to buffer each substream individually, and the issue occurs if the substream in total is shorter than the buffer size? If so, reducing the buffer size might be a solution; you can find both the streaming and output buffer sizes in the preferences window (tab "Playback").

But that's a wild theory. If someone with more knowledge about gstreamer and/or ogg has another idea about the cause?!