MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - H.264 decoder

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: H.264 decoder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Help please. When trying to run a number of .mp4 videos I keep on getting the following message: "Exp0601" was unable to play because the decoder (H.264 decoder) can not be found." Exp0601.mp4 being the name of the file I am trying to run.
How do I overcome this problem?
(07-05-2014, 07:56 PM)wdrspens Wrote: [ -> ]Help please. When trying to run a number of .mp4 videos I keep on getting the following message: "Exp0601" was unable to play because the decoder (H.264 decoder) can not be found." Exp0601.mp4 being the name of the file I am trying to run.
How do I overcome this problem?

What OS are you on? Which version of Nightingale do you use?

I'd guess you're on linux using a version without bundled gstreamer and haven't installed the mp4 gstreamer plugin. You probably need the 'bad' plugin package. How to install that, depends on your linux distribution.
Hi,

Silly of me not to mention such fundamental facts.

I am running Windows OS 8.1 update and I have only just downloaded Nightingale so it is Version: Nightingale 1.12.1, Build 2454 (20140111214227).

I certainly have not loaded gstreamer and would not know how to install the mp4 gstreamer plugin. DO I need to do that?

Kind regards
David
As far as I am aware you'd need QickTime to play mp4 (or aac) files on windows.

Don't worry about gstreamer if you're on windows.
I appreciate I can view the files in other applications, but it is Nightingale in which I wish to view them, if possible. This follows an article in Computer Active (9 - 22 July 1914, p61) under the red circled heading "10 Windows tools you must stop using" suggesting Nightingale instead of Windows Media Player. Frankly the fact that I can open a file in another program does not give me any succour when trying to open it in the program of choice.

However many thanks for your contribution.

David
(07-06-2014, 08:39 PM)wdrspens Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly the fact that I can open a file in another program does not give me any succour when trying to open it in the program of choice.

I think freaktechnik ment that you need QuickTime to be installed in order to play the file with Nightingale. On Windows 7x64 with the same version of Nightingale mp4 playback works for me, but afaik we still need QuickTime to be installed.
That's interesting. Thank you I'll give it a try and report on my success. So far I have eschewed QuickTime, but have nothing against it, so will try.

Fascinating. I downloaded and installed, but did not open or run QuickTime after installation yet Nightingale opened and ran my *.mp4 files.

Thank you rsjtdrjgfuzkfg and freaktechnik for resolving the question for me.

It would be interesting to see whether, having download and installed but not run QuickTime, I can now delete it and still open the *.mp4 files in Nightingale. I might give that a try on another occasion.

Many thanks to you both
David

Removal of QuickTime (using its own uninstall program) meant that Nightingale did not open the *.mp4 files, whist re-installation, but not opening QuickTime meant that once again the *.mp4 files could be opened.

To my untutored mind that suggests a .dll or some similar file needs to be supplied with Nightingale.
Yes, nightingale uses the gstreeamer-quicktime plugin on windows to play mp4, aac and alac files. It doesn't need quicktime to be ran but just to be installed.
EDIT: I've added appropriate sections on the format support pages on the wiki.