MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - hot keys issue

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: hot keys issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I cannot set "-" to next track and "*" to previous track at the "Additional numeric keypad" (at the right side of my keyboard)
(06-10-2014, 03:32 PM)emoxam Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot set "-" to next track and "*" to previous track at the "Additional numeric keypad" (at the right side of my keyboard)

What is you question? The behaviour you describe is correct, at least for windows. You cannot bind hotkeys on keys used for regular input.
Aimp (http://www.aimp.ru/) can do that, so there is no windows limitation.
(06-11-2014, 03:07 PM)emoxam Wrote: [ -> ]Aimp (http://www.aimp.ru/) can do that, so there is no windows limitation.

It is a limitation on windows (!= in Windows). I just checked, it is in fact on all supported platforms. If you really want to change that, app/content/bindings/hotKex.xml:225 defines which characters are blocked and app/content/xul/preferences/hotKeys.xul:68 contains the field (if you change nostandardkeys="true" to nostandardkeys="false" there, all hotkeys are allowed). Add-ons could also tweak that, so you could even write an add-on allowing arbitrary hotkeys.
I don't think it's a good idea to limit using keys, but anyway where should i change values ? Is it some file ?
(06-11-2014, 09:01 PM)emoxam Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's a good idea to limit using keys, but anyway where should i change values ? Is it some file ?

I personally think it is a good idea, as else Nightingale causes unexpected behaviour for some unexperienced users. Think of having a hotkey on a regular letter, without modifiers. Everytime you want to type that letter, Nightingale does someting?!

This may or may not be true for you, if you tend not to use that part of the numpad for regular work that feature is a restriction for you. Maybe it would be a good idea to add a config switch unlocking that or something like that.

It is a file within the Nightingale source, applying changes there requires building. If you do not have a build environment set up, it is probably more easy to just write an extension: just overlay the hotkey panel and alter the attribute from JS. That should work...

I'm unable to provide you one right now as of me not having enough time for that, but it is really straightforward. Maybe a good possibility to start add-on development? Feel free to ask again if you have issues or the starter ressources in the wiki are not enough.
Get me right but:
1. I don't like when someone (as a developer) think hi is smarter than me (as a end user). Microsoft in windows 8, and this app is a good examples. Maybe all the developers for now should delete the most function because of an enduser mistakes ? There are a lot of application that have a huge functions, and there is no need to make any changes until problems became massive.
2. Do you think i really will learn an addon development because of application limitation ? No! I will back to aimp. It's the easiest way, and so will act the most of end users.
(06-11-2014, 11:43 PM)emoxam Wrote: [ -> ]1. I don't like when someone (as a developer) think hi is smarter than me (as a end user). Microsoft in windows 8, and this app is a good examples. Maybe all the developers for now should delete the most function because of an enduser mistakes ? There are a lot of application that have a huge functions, and there is no need to make any changes until problems became massive.
Windows 8 removed features and changed the UI. We did never remove the feature from Nightingale, we just did not implement it in the first place. Nightingale is based on Songbird, and Songbird implemented it that way. We also have no intentions of changing the default UI (except some minor tweaks). I (personally) see a difference here. However, as I said, some advanced setting might be a good idea here.

Binding a Hotkey to a regular key has no unique expected behaviour in my opinion. What if I bind play/pause to the letter 'A'? What happens if I then want to enter some text into a different application, let's say 'Nightingale'. Should it then come out as 'Nightingle' and trigger a play/pause? Should it come out as 'Nightingale' and trigger a play/pause? Shouldn't it trigger? You see, there are multiple ways to interpret that, and all destroy either the purpose of the hotkey or of the application you were about to use. Of course, an advanced user may choose some less commonly used keys and bind to them. But the user should be aware of what he is doing.

I had a different attitude towards that some time ago, too. For example, I wrote a synchronization add-on for Songbird (which is now integrated into Nightingale), which synchronizes the library with a folder, eventually removing songs that are not in the library. Some users did not read the explicit warning messages, and unknowingly deleted files.
In Nightingale's synchronization feature, deletion of files is disabled by default. You see, helping (!= restricting) the user by preventing certain actions can be a reasonable choice.

(06-11-2014, 11:43 PM)emoxam Wrote: [ -> ]2. Do you think i really will learn an addon development because of application limitation ? No! I will back to aimp. It's the easiest way, and so will act the most of end users.
Please note that in contrast to many commercial applications there are no paid developers on this project. We are contributing our free time. If I cannot afford the time to implement it right now, but I can post relevant entry points for development, then I do that to help you as much as possible. If you or somebody else wants to take over and implement that, that's great. If not, that's fine with me as well.

In my personal opinion everyone should use the mediaplayer he/she prefers, and there is not a single "best" media player. If you prefer some other player, I'd highly recommend not to stick with Nightingale.
"But the user should be aware of what he is doing."
And thats the reason why limitation is redudant.

You waste so much time with writing posts to me, and i am sure this time can be spent to make an option a mention above.

Thats the point i want to end a conversation. If no - than no. I will use another app. Thats all.