MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Nightingale closed by DEP

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale closed by DEP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.
I've used Nightingale to my great satisfaction for a couple of months now, ever since Songbird stopped working.
Since yesterday however, every time I open Nightingale on my Vista 64-bit desktop it is shutdown immediately with a message indicating that it was closed by DEP. Angry

What is DEP?
Quote:DEP is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring programs to make sure they use system memory safely. If a program tries running (also known as executing) code from memory in an incorrect way, DEP closes the program.
64 bit programs will always have DEP turned on. You cannot change this.

So, does anyone have an idea what I could do now?

Cheers, Erik
Well, if you could tell us who the company behind the programm that adds DEP to your system is, we could ask them why they block Nightingale.
If you do not know where DEP is from, check out your anti virus and if it isn't from your anti virus, scan your computer for malware.
(04-07-2014, 07:48 PM)progerik Wrote: [ -> ]So, does anyone have an idea what I could do now?
You could try a fresh profile (open the profile manager with the -p option, in your case that is entering "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nightingale\nightingale.exe -p" into the start menu's search box and hitting enter, then follow the instructions to create a new profile). If that helps, you could migrate your data using BirdBackup.

If that doesn't help, there is something strange going on. Try reinstalling Nightingale (in case some virus actually altered it). If you're sure your system is clean, you can also disable DEP for Nightingale, although the bug triggering it may cause Nightingale to crash...

(04-07-2014, 08:23 PM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if you could tell us who the company behind the programm that adds DEP to your system is, we could ask them why they block Nightingale.

That would be Microsoft, as it is a Windows feature. They do not block us, but some action Nightingale tries to perform afaik (probably some bad pointer somewhere).
(04-07-2014, 11:24 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]You could try a fresh profile (open the profile manager with the -p option, in your case that is entering "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nightingale\nightingale.exe -p" into the start menu's search box and hitting enter, then follow the instructions to create a new profile). If that helps, you could migrate your data using BirdBackup.
If that doesn't help, there is something strange going on.
Well, I tried to do this from a command window, but it did not help. Again, when Nightingale was starting, it immediately crashed with the DEP message.
In the meantime I had started a full system scan with my Comodo Internet Security.
Also I tried to run nightingale exactly as you indicated (from the search box), but nothing seemed to happen there (though that could be bacause the system was sloooow because of the virus scan). I then tried to run Nightingale as an administrator. Because you never know. Again, nothing seemed to happen.

After a night's sleep I came to check the results of the virus scan. Nothing was found, but look here, here was good old Nightingale up and running! I'm not sure how it was started (search box or run as admin), but I closed it and started it again the normal way, and it still worksSmile

Thanks for your responses,
All the best,
Erik.