MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Safety of Web Browser?

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Safety of Web Browser?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, as an old SongBird user, I relied heavily on web browser, which was essentially Mozilla Firefox.

Would Nightingale run with the most updated versions of Mozilla Firefox or something equivalent?

Thanks!
Seeing that our web component is based on a pretty ancient XULR this is a security concern. On linux we use the latest XULR of the 1.9 series, which is basically from the last security update of Firefox 3.6. However we (read "johnmurrayvi") are working on making Nightingale use XULR 9 and later the current XULR ("current" is a pretty relative term in a 5 week release cycle in comparison to ours).
Found it. I remembered Songbird had FF 3.6 in place, I just wasn't sure if they ever improved it.

I'm glad to hear that news though. Would it still be safe to use the current Nightingale? Or should I hold off until more secure version?
You can still use the browser. As this version of XULR doesn't have a too high adoption rate, it's hard to imagine a vlot of exploits exist. But doing your e-banking in Nightingale isn't a good idea anyways. If you browse responsibly, you shouldn't come across an exploit, but I can't give you a guarantee, as no browser vendor can.
(03-15-2014, 01:33 PM)solid_ice8 Wrote: [ -> ]Would it still be safe to use the current Nightingale? Or should I hold off until more secure version?

If you're really concerned about security, disabling JS in the preferences may help to reduce Nightingale's vulnerability, however many pages will stop to work.
Understood, thanks.

I'll just use the media player component for now then.