Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to install Nightingale
05-11-2012, 11:39 AM
How to install Nightingale
Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to get started with Nightingale, but have run into difficulty installing it. I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I successfully downloaded the .TAR.BZ2 file provided at http://getnightingale.com/, but it seems that at this point you're on your own. I admit that I'm kind of a noob when it comes to Linux, but I think it would be a good thing to include a guide somewhere on how to install, for users that are less technically-minded than others.

I can't find anything like this either on http://getnightingale.com/, elsewhere online, in a README file within the files, etc.

I found the following guide on how to extract and install from a .TAR.BZ2 file, and things were going ok until I needed to "configure the source files":

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/compile-ins...ntu-linux/

My system told me that I did not have a configure file, and I could not install it. Then I read elsewhere that not all installations work like this, and so now I'm in desperation: I can't install Nightingale, and it seems that no-one will tell me how.

Can you guys please help? Is there something I'm missing?

If providing a solution to this, please assume I know nothing. I won't be offended.

Keith.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 11:33 PM by Timmythepirate.)
RE: How to install Nightingale
The easiest thing to do is to open a terminal and run the following commands.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:trebelnik-stefina/nightingale
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nightingale

This will download and install Nightingale for you.

What you downloaded was a binary, it does not need to be compiled. That is why you computer couldn't find the "configure" file.
05-12-2012, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 01:45 AM by KeithMay.)
Thanks Timmy,

You're a genius. That worked.

But why not include instructions like this in a simple README in the files of the download? This stuff might be very obvious to a seasoned Linux user, but is Greek to a newbie.

We should be nice to the newbies Smile

Could this be implemented? Keep in mind that before Timmy's advice, my experience trying to install Nightingale was an ordeal.

Keith.
05-12-2012, 06:38 AM
(05-12-2012 01:44 AM)KeithMay Wrote:  Thanks Timmy,

You're a genius. That worked.

But why not include instructions like this in a simple README in the files of the download? This stuff might be very obvious to a seasoned Linux user, but is Greek to a newbie.

We should be nice to the newbies Smile

Could this be implemented? Keep in mind that before Timmy's advice, my experience trying to install Nightingale was an ordeal.

Keith.

The problem is that at the moment we only have a repository for Ubuntu, and so newbies who are using Fedora, openSUSE, Mageia, etc. are at a disadvantage (although, I would not recommend these distros for newbies). As far as I know, only Ubuntu, Windows, and Mac users have an installable build available. I use mainly Debian and Ubuntu, and rarely Fedora or openSUSE, so my ability to help is limited to Ubuntu and Debian. If someone needs help with a distro that I don't use my ability to help is limited, but if you or anyone else needs help with Ubuntu you can just ask on the forum and I'll try to help.
05-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Well, I've opened a bug for that.

freaktechnik
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we link to the ppa with a ppa:// or some sort of link like that?

How to Build Nightingale | Nightingale on GitHub
05-12-2012, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 02:45 PM by Timmythepirate.)
(05-12-2012 12:46 PM)ilikenwf Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we link to the ppa with a ppa:// or some sort of link like that?

The thing that makes a ppa:// link difficult is that installing under Ubuntu is not as easy as installing an amd64 build or i386 build. Builds for Ubuntu 11.10 are not compatible with Ubuntu 12.04, which can complicate some things. I would recommend making a simple script called "ubuntu_installer.sh" that essentially runs the following commands:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:trebelnik-stefina/nightingale &&
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nightingale
Make the file executable and it will do all the work. It's simple and it works, you don't even need to understand what the commands do.
05-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Many thanks to you guys for your efforts to help.

Keith.