Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Playlist Syncing?
01-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Playlist Syncing?
Before I made the move to Linux, I always used Windows Media Player to sync my music to my mp3 devices. My husband has been hounding me to find a Linux replacement, and for all of the players I've tried, Nightingale seems to be the best.

The only problem is, when I sync my playlists to my mp3 player, it just moves the songs, not the actual playlist files, so that when I go to the playlist menu in the device, it says there are no playlists present. I am using a Sony Walkman mp3 player. My music collection is so massive and I have playlists based on genre, mood, and also a couple special ones for my kids, so having the playlist sync (and not just the songs IN the playlist) is essential. I know in WMP you could just drag & drop a playlist to the device sync and the playlists would all be there on the device itself. Any help with this?

Thanks everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 06:35 AM
RE: Playlist Syncing?
I don't know specifically, but I think you need the MTP extension, and I'm not sure if we ported it yet...

One of the other devs will be more knowledgable about this than me.

How to Build Nightingale | Nightingale on GitHub
01-11-2012, 02:33 AM
RE: Playlist Syncing?
First of all, playlist files can get synced. You can enable it by clicking at the down-arrow and enabeling playlist writing. See the manual for additional information, the page you're probably interested in is chrome://foldersync/content/manual/en/profiles.htm#playlistwriting.
Playlist files are not compartible with all players, if you need another format (currently there is regular and extended M3U only) feel free to leave a message here.

Threre are, however, some devices that only accept playlists synced via MTP. Those can't get filled via Nightingale currently, as we don't have a MTP device support plugin yet (the Songbird one is closed-source).

Songbird/Nightingale Community Developer and German Translator