Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Windows 8 64bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello to everyone,

I recently upgrade my PC to Win 8 and more recently Win 8.1, (I still hear people saying why). The machine is now faster than when I bough it running Win 7 4 years ago and as I'm now a [mature] student, need to save some pennies!

Having flirted with Songbird on my previous PC I though I would have another go but on reading about POTI route choice came here.

This was installed on to 8.1 OS and I have not tried it on anything else previously. Everything looked promising, pointed some music at it and the Nightingale sang. Skipped between a few tracks and thought this is very good. So I settled back and let an an album play. At the end of the first completed track I got "not responding" and the program froze. Restarted on another tune - same result, (a few time just in case). So I did a little bit of checking and these are the results.

When the hang occurs the details of the next track are shown, the start time has reset to 0:00, as is the end time and the time bar has returned to the beginning.

I have tried with no add-ons and all.
Starting with many tracks identified and building up from an empty list.
Long tracks and even one at 0:04 seconds.
I can let the file play all the way to the end or jump to a few seconds just in front of the end, the results is the same. It appears to be the pickup of the 2nd track after an 'ended' track.

I am not a programmer so I have no idea poking about, but thanks to MS have tried a debugging output at the hanging stage:

The thread 0x1f0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x158 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
First-chance exception at 0x6F17FE88 (msacm32.dll) in nightingale.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
The thread 0x1438 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'nightingale.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll'
The thread 0x1728 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xaf4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

These are the lines around the hang every time.
I have tried local accounts and the administrator.
I have replaced the both of the files mentioned above with copies from my Win 8.0 backup, (they appeared identical). And I have tried Compatibility mode all the versions back to XP Service Pack 3.

The hang is exactly the same. Oh and did I mention these are MP3 files :-)

If you need any more info please let me know. I would be grateful if you have any suggestion but I do appreciate that Windows is the minority interest platform Wink.

Thanks in advance.
(12-18-2013, 08:50 AM)CyclingOscar Wrote: [ -> ]I recently upgrade my PC to Win 8 and more recently Win 8.1, (I still hear people saying why). The machine is now faster than when I bough it running Win 7 4 years ago and as I'm now a [mature] student, need to save some pennies!

I'm one of the why guys, but that's a different topic Wink

Back to topic: From what you wrote, I extracted the following STR. Can you verify this is correct and reproduceable for you?

0. Nightingale 1.12, Release from Homepage (big download button^^). Clean Profile. Win8.1x64.
1. Open Nightingale, complete Firstrun without installing add-ons or importing music.
2. Drag two mp3s into the Library, from now on A and B. A is on top of B, sequential playback is selected.
3. Double-click A. A starts to play.
4. Wait for A to finish

Expected:
The metadata displayed switches to track B, and track B starts to play.

Actual:
The metadata displayed switches to track B, and Nightingale crashes.

If this is correct and reproduceable, try the current nightly build (2013-12-05). Does it occur in that build as well?
Quote:
0. Nightingale 1.12, Release from Homepage (big download button^^). Clean Profile. Win8.1x64.
1. Open Nightingale, complete Firstrun without installing add-ons or importing music.
2. Drag two mp3s into the Library, from now on A and B. A is on top of B, sequential playback is selected.
3. Double-click A. A starts to play.
4. Wait for A to finish

Expected:
The metadata displayed switches to track B, and track B starts to play.

Actual:
The metadata displayed switches to track B, and Nightingale crashes.

If this is correct and reproduceable, try the current nightly build (2013-12-05). Does it occur in that build as well?

Yes.

Thanks for coming back to me. Why Win 8 , or just why Windows Big Grin

Cleared out the original install.

New Version: Nightingale 1.12.1, Build 2453 (20131205014352)

Several tests, some with only four tracks available and some with more.

If only a single track is played - everything is fine. The same track can be set to 'repeat one' and it will repeat and repeat........

Otherwise a soon as track B appears, the player hangs. There was one instance when two track got played. I had searched by genre and got two tracks listed. So tried the exact same steps and the usual hang reappeared.

I have tried in Playlists and Music library plus both List and Filter Pane view, the results are the same.

If I notice anything else I'll let you know. I'll just play tracks one at a time for the moment. Stops me relying on Shuffle I guess Smile

Thanks,
(12-19-2013, 09:07 PM)CyclingOscar Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.

As you posted some debug stuff more early, do you have a build setup? Do you know how to debug?
Try a debug build from branch sb-trunk-oldxul. From the STR I'd think of the sequencer as a starting point. Try breaking on sbMediacoreSequencer:TonguerocessNewPosition and/or sbMediacoreSequencer::RecalculateSequence.

If you don't have a build environment I can build a debug build for you, just let me know.

If you don't know how to debug, I fear I cannot help you much more, as I currently don't have the ressources to create a test environment running Win8.1x64. Do you have another Win8.1x64 device you could test on? If so, does the issue appear there as well?