Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Font Size
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't see this issue previously discussed:
I know that "Zoom" under "View" allows you to increase font size of the playlist, but:
1) is it possible to make the last zoom level the default, and
2) is it possible to increase the font size of the text on the menu bar, the sidebar, etc?
Thanks!
Hi, I guess your issue would be similar to https://github.com/nightingale-media-pla...issues/193 . There is a workaround in the comments there.

P.S.: there is a thread which spawned the issue somewhere on here, I'll add a link to it when I find it.
(09-12-2013, 04:38 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I guess your issue would be similar to https://github.com/nightingale-media-pla...issues/193 . There is a workaround in the comments there.

P.S.: there is a thread which spawned the issue somewhere on here, I'll add a link to it when I find it.

Thanks much for your prompt reply and link. Unfortunately, being somewhat technologically challenged, I have no idea what the discussion in that link means from a practical standpoint. I mean, I know how to get to "about:config," but what value(s) would I change, and what would I change them to? And would those changes cause the program to crash?

Thanks again.
If you go to "about:config" and in the filter box enter "font" you will see a list of the font sizes.
Try changing those by 2 up or down and test (you may need to restart ngale), ngale shouldn't crash and unless you make the font very large or small there shouldn't be any problem reversing the change.
(09-12-2013, 11:18 PM)joseslepian Wrote: [ -> ]what value(s) would I change, and what would I change them to?
You would change
Code:
layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
. The value is a magnifying factor, normally.

Nightingale shouldn't crash if you change this value, or even Nightingale shouldn't crash if you change most of these values. It's just possible to royally screw it up (i.e. make it unusable).

You can also change the font sizes only, as ezekiel suggests, if you don't want to magnify the whole user interface.
(09-13-2013, 02:41 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2013, 11:18 PM)joseslepian Wrote: [ -> ]what value(s) would I change, and what would I change them to?
You would change
Code:
layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
. The value is a magnifying factor, normally.

Nightingale shouldn't crash if you change this value, or even Nightingale shouldn't crash if you change most of these values. It's just possible to royally screw it up (i.e. make it unusable).

You can also change the font sizes only, as ezekiel suggests, if you don't want to magnify the whole user interface.

Again, thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. Changing the value under "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" did indeed magnify the whole user interface. Unfortunately, I didn't follow ALL of your advice and changed this value by more than 2, which made the interface way too big. As a result, I can't get back to "about:config" to reduce the value to a more sensible number. Curiously, when I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, it still loaded with the higher value and it is too big to allow me to get to "about:config." I was duly warned and I guess I just "royally screw[ed] it up" by not listening to your (and the program's) warnings.
But that was my fault and I do thank you both for the helpful replies.

UPDATE: using the advanced mode of Revo Uninstaller, I was able to reinstall back to the original installation. Unfortunately it seems that changing the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" to "1" made the interface a little too big. On the positive side, I was able to get back to the original interface (which I still have trouble seeing). Thanks for all the help!
Well my recommendation for increments of 2 was for font sizes rather than the zooming field.
I'm not sure what the range is for "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" but you could try 0.4 - 1.6.
But the default is -1.
If you ever break Nightingale again, you can rescue it by going to your profile folder (%appdata%/Nightingale/Profiles/[RANDOMNAME] ) and edit the prefs.js with a text editor. This is the file where the abput:config prefs are stored. Just search for the pref you changed and set the value there, and when you load Nightingale the next time, this value should be applied.
If you delete a line, it is reset to the default value.