Nightingale Forums

Full Version: End of Songbird
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, it's official, Songbird is dead :

http://blog.songbirdnest.com/you-gotta-k...o-fold-em/

How is this going to impact Nightingale ?
We all saw the news last friday.

What it means for Nightingale :

- We will still continue development but now we don't have to think about compatibility issues, so we can make bigger changes that could break Songbird add-ons compatibility.
- We will not have access to Songbird resources (we asked, it seems only Android/iOS/songbird.me may survive if POTI sells them to another company) closed-source add-ons will remain closed-source because of 3rd partners involved like Philips
- We have backups of many Songbird things like documentation, bugs, localizations etc. but everything is not online yet and we need some help here to have everything running

Nightingale is being promoted by POTI as the replacement for Songbird desktop and it's possible that former employees and contributors will help us.

Also I still have lots of Songbird stickers and don't know what to do with them ^^
(06-18-2013, 11:43 PM)GeekShadow Wrote: [ -> ]- We have backups of many Songbird things like documentation, bugs, localizations etc. but everything is not online yet and we need some help here to have everything running

I'm against releasing the songbird doc backups on the public internet as long as there are POTI trademarks in it; if you want to prepare it for publishing you'd need to at least insert some information on when you crawled what page to every single page; as POTI's trademarks probably get sold.

(06-18-2013, 11:43 PM)GeekShadow Wrote: [ -> ]Nightingale is being promoted by POTI as the replacement for Songbird desktop and it's possible that former employees and contributors will help us.
That's the point which may or may not change NG, as currently our main issue is a lack of developers.
I honestly feel like this is just the next step for us, as we were going to end up breaking all compatibility with our deps moving to newer vanilla versions, and would've happened whether or not POTI kept going.

All that said, this is worthy of a blog post...GeekShadow and rsjt's post would be a good start...just in paragraph form with bullets too...if either of you want to start drafting one...I'll want to add to it as well...maybe also some public condolences from our devs?

IMO we shouldn't release the Songbird wiki and docs as I believe those are copyrighted, technically. Keeping our own copies for reference is fine, though. The addons should mostly be open licensed, and any that aren't, we can contact the authors (need to contact them all anyway). We need to get the word out to them somehow, especially those who may not have heard of us.

The Songbird team are actually pretty cool guys including Eric, the CEO. We should highly encourage our fans to tweet and post their thanks to the Songbird people for everything, as we wouldn't be here without them. Hopefully the tweet could also include @getnightingale Smile
I don't mean releasing wiki, but taking parts and adapt them to Nightingale.
Those are documentation for an open source software it would be dumb to not be allowed to use it, as long as we put a POTI reference which is what we do on the source code.
That would be fine. Most of our stuff is based off their old wiki anyway.
Hopefully we'll have some folks from songbird around here, that would be great
(07-04-2013, 06:02 AM)Willynux Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully we'll have some folks from songbird around here, that would be great

And they could be welcome
(07-13-2013, 07:37 AM)wayout west Wrote: [ -> ]In from songbird.

Welcome! Big Grin
(07-13-2013, 07:37 AM)wayout west Wrote: [ -> ]In from songbird.

Really ? Smile

Welcome !

What was your job at POTI ?
Pages: 1 2