MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - [Mountain Lion] Integrated vs Discrete Graphics

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: [Mountain Lion] Integrated vs Discrete Graphics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm on macbook pro mid 2010.
When I start Nightingale it use integrated graphics but as soon as I play a song it switches to discrete graphics.
Is it necessary for Nightingale to use discrete graphics?
Can developer make it to just use integrated graphics?

Thanks in advance
(05-07-2013, 04:42 AM)pajokka Wrote: [ -> ]Is it necessary for Nightingale to use discrete graphics?
Can developer make it to just use integrated graphics?

We currently don't have any native mac developers, and afaik we don't have any mac with multiple graphic cores lieing around... so I fear we won't be able to address this issue.
Maybe @ilikenwf knows something about the mac api stuff?
as from the description, I'd guess that it is GStreamer, decoding the media on the GPU or XULR using the GPU to render the window, since there's a lot more to calculate when something is actually playing. I'd guess we should be able to offer an option to disable acceleration of gst, but I know that we can't for XULR.
(01-02-2015, 10:30 AM)~Antonio Wrote: [ -> ]Why do we need the discrete GPU to render the window? The integrated GPU, whether Intel or Nvidia, should be able to handle window rendering just fine. Is it a matter of the memory available to either? Why is this possible for XULRunner with other Mozilla-based software, and not for Nightingale?

Because those other programs you know are using a much more recent version of Mozilla's XULRunner, while Nightingale (sadly) still uses a quite aged version (pre-Firefox 4).

As far as I know wh had a fix to disable it for older versions of OS x, but at some point that stopped working. If you know how to disable it, feel free to post a pull request, since none of us really know OS X or develop on it (making stuff build is about as far as it goes).