Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Crash on first run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not used or installed Nightingale before today. On first launch (after the setup wizard) I get a crash.

The crash happens every time I start Nightingale. See attached for screenshots.

Any suggestions?
Nightly or other version? If it's not a nightly, you should go get one from our sourceforge page, as those are more stable.
(03-06-2013, 03:23 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]Nightly or other version? If it's not a nightly, you should go get one from our sourceforge page, as those are more stable.

I was using the stable release (1.11.0). I don't see nightly builds for windows on SourceForge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ngale/fi...013-02-20/

It looks like the crash is related to the folder scan on first run. Clicking cancel means that Nightingale now opens without crashing, but it doesn't display my music and I couldn't find a way to tell it to scan my music folder again (which would also be necessary for me to test whether the issue is fixed in the nightly builds).
(03-06-2013, 01:18 PM)ahifhilf Wrote: [ -> ]I was using the stable release (1.11.0). I don't see nightly builds for windows on SourceForge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ngale/fi...013-02-20/

This is a known bug of your release and has been fixed in the current builds. You can find nightly builds here. Seems like our windows build server has been down for some commits...
It looks like the crash is related to the folder scan on first run.

Same problem. More specifically:

Mint Linux Cinnamon Release 13 (maya) 64-bit
Got the e-mail from NG this week, clicked through to the the NG site, and downloaded what was recommended:

Nightingale_1.12-2432_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

On launch it found my old NG settings folder (which I didn't even know was there - it's been a while), got part way through the folder scan, then crashed.

Subsequently I downloaded both:

Nightingale_1.12-2432_linux-i686.tar.bz2 and
Nightingale_1.12-2432_ubuntu-x86_64.tar.bz2

Both launch and do the scan with no problem.
Hrm...maybe there's something wrong with the x86_64 standard build? It's really hard to build binaries that work on all distros due to library (as in .h) differences.

There's also a release PPA.

If you could try it again, only this time moving or removing your old ~/.nightingale directory before hand, it would be interesting to know if that would fix it.
(04-20-2013, 06:01 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]If you could try it again, only this time moving or removing your old ~/.nightingale directory before hand, it would be interesting to know if that would fix it.

Deleted the .nightingale folder.
Launched the Nightingale_1.12-2432_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 version of NG

Clicked through the various setup screens, accepting defaults.
All looks good until an Error popup:

There was a problem determining what media changed in your library since the last Nightingale launch. Would you like Nightingale to rescan your watch folder: (/media/OS/MUSIC)?

Click "OK". Scan begins. Main NG panel opens up.

First time I tried this, NG crashed entirely part way through the scan.
Second time, it looks as if no music was "imported."

Worth noting: I've been launching NG by double clicking on the nightingale shell script icon in the NG folder, then choosing "Run" from the pop-up that appears asking what to do.

The second time (above) I chose "run in terminal instead."

Terminal output is attached.

Stranger still: Deleted .nightingale again, launched again, went through the start up screens again, crashed again.

Launched NG again, without deleting the .nightingale folder, Now have both the "importing Media" dialog open on the screen, looking like it's scanning everything just fine, AND the "Watch Folder Error" dialog as well. One on top of the other.

Screen grab attached.

This too crashed a few minutes later, I think before finishing the scan.
[attachment=157]
Going by your terminal output, it looks like you're running the 32 bit version of nightingale. I'm wondering if maybe the archive is accidentally i686? If you could, would you mind trying with the last nightly build before the release for your arch?

Those wrong ELF class errors mean that you are probably trying to run an i686 nightingale instead of an x86_64. I'll take a look at the release archives myself as well.
Well, it seems that the build is fine. Are you sure you downloaded the correct tarball?
(04-21-2013, 10:06 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it seems that the build is fine. Are you sure you downloaded the correct tarball?

How about send me a link just so I can be sure? Then I'll run things again.

I just went to the main NG home page and the button says that it's giving me the 64 bit Linux version. It downloaded as:
Nightingale_1.12-2432_linux-x86_64 (1).tar.bz2

Extracted it.
Double clicked the icon and chose to Run in Terminal.
Went through start up screens as normal.

Watch Folder Error "There was a problem determining what media changed in your library since the last Nightingale launch. Would you like Nightingale to rescan your watch folder: (/media/OS/MUSIC)?"

Clicked OK to proceed.
Both NG and the Terminal window disappeared.

Started over. (deleting .nightingale each time)
Got to the Watch Folder Error AND the folder scan running at the same time, then everything crashed.

I'm going to do a reboot and try it all again. (Old Windows habits die hard.)
Barry
Pages: 1 2