Nightingale Forums

Full Version: mp3 playback on Slackware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I've just unpacked 1.11.0 on Slackware 14.0 (32bit) and it's generally working fine but won't play mp3s (see error below).

Error: GStreamer warning: No decoder available for type 'audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1, mpegaudioversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2, parsed=(boolean)true'. Additional information: gsturidecodebin.c(874): unknown_type_cb (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0

I found this slightly odd because I have an old version of Songbird installed that will play mp3s but not m4as, which is the reason I installed Nightingale.

Gstreamer is installed as part of Slackware along with the "good" plugins and I've already installed "bad" via Slackbuilds trying to fix the m4a issue with Songbird. mpg123 is part of "bad" but lame is part of "ugly".

Can anyone tell me which mp3 decoder Nightingale would ideally like to find and how I can tell Nightingale where it is?

Many thanks for any help.
Make sure you have all of the gstreamer0.10-* packages installed.
Nice one. Ugly did it... didn't expect that.
Glad you fixed it!
(12-04-2012, 11:59 PM)repent Wrote: [ -> ]I found this slightly odd because I have an old version of Songbird installed that will play mp3s but not m4as, which is the reason I installed Nightingale.

That's because of Nightingale using the system gstreamer (which as you saw did not had the mp3 codecs installed) to be more lightweight and customizable. Songbird brings an own gstreamer with mp3 support enabled.