Nightingale Forums

Full Version: add-ons categories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So what categories should we have for our future add-ons repository ?

Songbird have :
* Appearance
* Web Browser
* Content & Discovery
* Tools
+ Featured add-ons

Should we keep those, should we add more ?

Personally I would separate Appearance and Feathers by creating a dedicated Feathers category.
Those sound fine what about splitting appearance into:
- Feathers
- Media Views
I'm for a separate Feather category.

imho the songbird splittings aren't that nice, I'd like something like
  • Music & Video
    Radio, Music search stuff, everything Media-related
  • Library & Playlists
    Organization stuff for the Database and Playlists
  • Devices & Services (searchin' for a better word here?)
    Sync- and device support, Media server stuff, last.fm. Basically stuff that connects Nightingale with other Soft- and Hardware, including the Internet
  • Web Browser
    Quite obvious what it is for...

And then we might feature some add-ons on the main page? I dislike a separate category for that, we might use a tag there (technically categories will be tags, too, but with a separate meaning in terms of pre-defined searches. We should reserve some tags for internal use by admins, such as "featured" and "reviewed", also display them and the categories differently).
Ok, so

* Music & Video
* Library & Playlists
* Device & Services
* Web Browser
* Feathers
* Media View
* Appearance

The thing is, I found out a great DokuWiki plugin to handle our add-ons (better that what we currently have) and will soon install it (while Featherweight is still developed).

It's the same plugin who handle plugins listing in DokuWiki website see here :
https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugins

As you can see it's handling tags, categories, template for each plugin, popularity, screenshots, search, xml and since it relies on a sql db I was thinking of adding auto-thread in the code.
As is it easy to install and there is no much things to change, I will soon install this to replace our current add-ons wiki page, then later Featherweight could replace this Wink
(11-09-2012, 07:00 PM)GeekShadow Wrote: [ -> ]* Music & Video
* Library & Playlists
* Device & Services
* Web Browser
* Feathers
* Media View
* Appearance

I personally think Media View is more a tag, and I don't know what we'd need an appearance category for? As we already have feathers, and non-feather add-ons have a feature besides of their looks, don't they?

Also I thought a while and figured we could need some "Other" or "Tools" category, for developer tools, dom inspector and stuff.

The Plugin idea sounds nice to me, but I'd suggest cleaning the forum and denying thread creation for regular users there first.
So let's go with this ?

Categories:
* Music & Video
* Library & Playlists
* Device & Services
* Web Browser
* Feathers
* Tools
* Other

Tags (incomplete list):
* Media View
* Appearance
(11-12-2012, 10:04 PM)GeekShadow Wrote: [ -> ]Categories:
* Music & Video
* Library & Playlists
* Device & Services
* Web Browser
* Feathers
* Tools
* Other

Sounds good for me. Maybe more "Devices & Services"? Not sure on the naming there. Also, not sure if we need both Tools and Other... but I'm fine with any combination Wink
Don't forget we will also have tagging and a tag cloud, which should help sort as well.
Ok, so for the wiki I will start with
* Music & Video
* Library & Playlists
* Device & Services
* Web Browser
* Feathers
* Tools

We will see after the first batch of add-ons if we need more categories.
So I'm looking at the add-on categories on the new add-on page that Geekshadow started and I would like to work on. Some of the categories seem either too confusing or too broad to me, so I decided to revive this thread and propose some changes.

"Music and Video"
This category, to me, is too broad. Nightingale is a media player, so basically every add-on (excluding ones meant for developers) should involve music and/or video in some way. Case in point: Geekshadow included 59 of the 72 add-ons on the new page in the "Music and Video" category. Therefore, I suggest that this category is not necessary.  

"Devices and Services"
Geekshadow's description for this category is: "add new way to discover music content on the web and manage devices." I think this describes two things that are appreciably different from one another. The "Web" add-ons in particular are supposed to be a unique feature of Nightingale, so I would argue that they deserve their own category. Therefore, I suggest this category is split into "Web Services" and "Devices & Hardware". The latter category would include things like MP3 players (ie. a device), specialized keyboards and remotes (ie. hardware) and perhaps things like smartphone apps that communicate or sync with Nightingale, which could be categorized as involving both a device and hardware.

"Web Browser"
Looking at the add-ons GeekShadow categorized as "Web Browser", I only see a few things that definitively fit under this (Dogmazic Search, mp3skull Search, New Tab Button, Web Window, Wikipedia). I think the rest would better fit more broadly under "Web Services", and this category would also include the Search and Wikipedia add-ons. So "Web Services" would only leave out things like New Tab Button and Web Window, which I would suggest should be categorized under "Tools & Utilities" or "Miscellaneous" (see below...)

"Tools"
On the new add-on page GeekShadow describes this as "add-ons bring tools for developers to help contribute, test and build add-ons and feathers". However, he has also included add-ons like BackupBird, Cool Clock and Copy as Plain Text under this category, which I would argue some end-users would still find useful. Therefore, I mainly just disagree with the description of this one. However, I would also suggest it be renamed to "Tools & Utilities"; I know the line between these two things can be pretty blurry, but it would make the category more broad so that more things can be included in it.

So, based on the above, here are my proposed categories:
  • Library & Playlists
  • Devices & Hardware
  • Web Services
  • Tools & Utilities
  • Feathers
  • Miscellaneous (Not sure if this last one is needed. I guess we would have to see if any of the add-ons don't fall under any of the above categories. And if more things fall under Misc than Tools & Utilities, then get rid of Tools & Utilities and include everything under Misc).

Thoughts? Smile
Pages: 1 2