Nightingale Forums

Full Version: General sluggishness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Nightingale is an excellent player, but I have a hard time getting it to function reliably. I'm on Linux Mint Mate edition, but I remember this being the case with Ubuntu as well. I suspect it has something to to with it being ported from windows, but I don't know for sure if that's the case.

So, my question is: what can I do to speed up the performance of nightingale? When I click on playlists or filter panes, there's a significant delay before the results render, and when selecting a song there's a significant delay before playback.
Nightingale isn't ported from windows. That said, I would guess that your problem is likely to be related to Ubuntu and Mint using older, more "stable" versions of some of the dependencies Nightingale uses. Speed is also dependent upon how clean/organized and how large your collection is.

If you could let us know what version you're using, we may be able to suggest a newer/better build, as we have come a very long way in terms of speed and reliability since 1.11.

Also, we're in the process of moving to use newer versions of the firefox engine and our other dependencies, which should further speed the player and even add more features at the same time.
Thanks for the reply. I am running 1.11.1, Build 0 (20120716214818). Do you recommend I add a different repo and upgrade to a dev version, or a nightly build or something?

I am running Linux Mint 13, Mate edition. I could tell you which dependancies I'm running, if you could recommend better ones.

I would be interested in updating Nightingale and my dependancies if this would improve performance.

Thanks.
(10-31-2012, 02:48 AM)3×5 Wrote: [ -> ]I am running 1.11.1, Build 0 (20120716214818).

If you know how to build and are interested in the latest version, you could try to build by yourself from the branches sb-trunk-oldxul or nightingale-1.8, our official repo is at git://github.com/nightingale-media-player/nightingale-hacking.git.

Otherwise, we have some builds ready at the nightly build page and there are testing builds available (some of them contain additional patches).
(10-31-2012, 04:00 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2012, 02:48 AM)3×5 Wrote: [ -> ]I am running 1.11.1, Build 0 (20120716214818).

If you know how to build and are interested in the latest version, you could try to build by yourself from the branches sb-trunk-oldxul or nightingale-1.8, our official repo is at git://github.com/nightingale-media-player/nightingale-hacking.git.

Otherwise, we have some builds ready at the nightly build page and there are testing builds available (some of them contain additional patches).

I do have an issue with Nightingale since upgrading from OpenSUSE 12.1 to 12.2. That goes along with moving from Gnome 2.32 to 3.6. Ever since then Nightingale causes high CPU load, anything between 10 and 90% CPU as shown by the Gnome system monitor. This is when Nightingale has just been started, and doing nothing. When playing a song it takes about 55% CPU fairly constantly. I do see this with both, version 1.11.1 and 2.2.0a. It also happened with 1.11.0. Except from that it seems to be running ok.
Sounds like it may be an issue with a library or something, then?

In general, Nightingale runs much better when compiled on the distro it will be running on...library differences can sometimes cause issues between distros.
(11-19-2012, 05:14 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like it may be an issue with a library or something, then?

In general, Nightingale runs much better when compiled on the distro it will be running on...library differences can sometimes cause issues between distros.

That's what I thought initially too. But there is no difference when I compile Nightingale myself. I still do see the high CPU util. Again, this is the same for both, 1.11.1 and 2.2.0a.

Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks.
Is your music being stored on an NFS share or something? Are you using an uncommon filesystem?
Do you have the issue using Songbird's Linux version ?
http://download.songbirdnest.com/install...686.tar.gz
(11-20-2012, 04:24 PM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]Is your music being stored on an NFS share or something? Are you using an uncommon filesystem?

No, and no. It's a local ext4 file system.

(11-20-2012, 07:15 PM)GeekShadow Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have the issue using Songbird's Linux version ?
http://download.songbirdnest.com/install...686.tar.gz

I removed Songbird from my system at the time Nightingale 1.11.0 came out. Now re-installed SB 1.10.3 and created a new profile. I did not import any music, just installed all add-ons suggested by default when running the profile wizard.
I do see the same behavior with the CPU running high, peaking at almost 100% when basically doing nothing. Same thing when starting in safe mode.
Pages: 1 2 3