MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Notify-osd based song notifications?

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Notify-osd based song notifications?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently using Song Notifier for this function, but it is rather glitchy at times (at least under Arch/Openbox), and it doesn't blend well with the rest of my setup.

I am an undergraduate CS major, and I would be happy to start this project-- if it is not beyond my ability. Thoughts?
(06-30-2012, 10:42 AM)Alittlemurkling Wrote: [ -> ]Currently using Song Notifier for this function, but it is rather glitchy at times (at least under Arch/Openbox), and it doesn't blend well with the rest of my setup.

I am an undergraduate CS major, and I would be happy to start this project-- if it is not beyond my ability. Thoughts?

I'm not using Song Notifier, nor Arch. However, if it has issues but works in general, you might just fix the issues without the need to start from scratch?
If you explain what changes are required we might be able to help you with that Smile
(07-01-2012, 12:12 AM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not using Song Notifier, nor Arch. However, if it has issues but works in general, you might just fix the issues without the need to start from scratch?
If you explain what changes are required we might be able to help you with that Smile
  • It doesn't support transparency
  • It doesn't wrap lines for long strings of metadata. E.g. "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Twilight to Starlight)" blots out most toolbars on the bottom of my windows.
  • It doesn't allow for click-through.
  • The popup animation cannot be customized.
  • It occasionally glitches and draws the box in a random corner of the screen, or it fails to popup at all.
  • It occasionally freezes on the screen, blocking whatever it covers until Nightingale is restarted. (Though it will sometimes fix itself)

I feel that an extension using notify-osd would be a lot more stable than this, and integrate better with a user's desktop experience. And since the notification framework is already there, I hope that it wouldn't really be starting from scratch. Though, again, I don't know how difficult it is to implement.

Also, I understand why there might be some reluctance towards using this package, since it is maintained by Canonical. However I feel it is one component of their DE that they execute well.
(07-01-2012, 05:35 AM)Alittlemurkling Wrote: [ -> ]I feel that an extension using notify-osd would be a lot more stable than this, and integrate better with a user's desktop experience. And since the notification framework is already there, I hope that it wouldn't really be starting from scratch. Though, again, I don't know how difficult it is to implement.

If you do it from scratch, you will need to do the notify-osd stuff as a XPCOM compoent, as you need to use c++ from what I saw googleing notify-osd. That means, the extension must get built. Maybe it is possible to just bump/adjust one of the existing ones for Songbird, though:
http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1672
http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1754

Both have not been updated lately, so there might be some issues, and if you're not lucky they are in the compiled part and you will have to deal with that compile thing, but there's a chance you can get this to work directly using the prebuilt components in the xpis available there. Maybe a version bump can do the trick directly?!