MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Linux/GNU music managers

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Linux/GNU music managers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I thought I'd say hello here and tell of my experience with Linux/GNU music managers.

I'll start by saying that up until 2010 I used iTunes through Windows, and boy, I didn't know how good I had it. I moved to Ubuntu, expecting to find something similar (listening to music must be one of the most universal uses of personal computers) but unfortunately didn't. I'm aware though that it's a free OS and doesn't have the resources of Apple/Windows, but still. I'll list here my experience with various Linux/GNU music managers and the problems I've had with them.

Rhythmbox & Banshee: my experience with these has ranged from frustrating to appalling.
- In iTunes you could have a playlist on shuffle, and then go back to your main music (not on shuffle). With these two however it's all or nothing. Putting your party mix on shuffle means that everything is on shuffle.
- You're listening to a podcast on iTunes. You pause and close the programme and come back to it later. iTunes remembers where you stopped listening. With these two it's back to the start every time.
- In Banshee if you download over ca. 8 episodes of a podcast, it goes crazy and starts downloading some other random podcast you're not even subscribed to.

Clementine: My first impressions were that the UI was terrible and clunky, and I never came back to it.

Nightingale: after a sisyphean ordeal, I have managed to install it, and I'm hopeful.

Another feature I miss from iTunes is the one that creates a copy of any music you import into it in the iTunes Music folder. Delete the original and everything's in one handy place. I'm disappointed that no Linux/GNU music manager has ever managed to replicate the ease-of-use and intuitive functionality of iTunes.

While looking for the best possible one for Linux/GNU, I often read phrases like:

"There are plenty of great music players on Linux (I've tried more than my fair share of them)." (source: http://url.ie/fa7e).

I'd really like to know what this guy is talking about.

Here's hoping for Nightingale. I welcome discussion and comments.

Keith.
Thanks for letting us know! We're working on making it easier to install in ubuntu, we actually have a PPA going, it's just not publicised yet...

We're all for ripping off...erm...emulating, I mean Tongue the best features of iTunes and other players. We're working on it, but you have brought some new ideas to the table, which I really appreciate. Would you mind putting those into a bulleted list and posting them in our suggestions subforum?
Hi dude,

I'll get right on that as soon as I have a bit of experience of Nightingale.

I haven't started using it proper yet, as I'm trying to clean up various aspects of my music library before importing it to NG.

Thanks very much for your willingness to help. I'd be more than happy if I can, to help the "emulation" of iTunes' best features in NG Smile

I acknowledge that the idea of making installation in Ubuntu easier is already being dealt with (also by yourself) elsewhere:

http://forum.getnightingale.com/thread-507.html

If other users have comments to make on that then please post them on the above thread.

Keith.