MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Basic Fedora/RPM packaging

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Basic Fedora/RPM packaging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A user on the Fedora mailing list asked if Nightingale was available or if someone was willing to package it for Fedora.

I went ahead and took a look but there's no way that the project would be acceptable into Fedora as it stands today. I'm sure the reasons have been discussed before but to summarize:
- Bundled libs
- Downloading external dependencies during building
- Downloading BINARY dependencies during building
- No FHS compliant "make install" target.

I went ahead and created an SRPM which instead installs everything to /opt/nightingale. Due to the fact that I have pre-downloaded the external dependencies, the package is quite large (100+MB) but it does work for both i686 and x86_64 architectures.

Since I don't currently use nightingale, I was wondering if anyone was willing to take my SRPM and use it to build binary RPMS to be "officially" supported and hosted by the project.

Thanks,
Richard
I don't think any of us run Fedora, to be honest...

And we're working towards not using bundles - right now, since we're a fork and have yet to completely migrate to using distro libs, this isn't possible, but it is in progress...
I just figured I'd ask. The SRPM should also work for other RPM based distro's like Suse.

Richard
We do have a Suse user or two...
(03-31-2012, 05:18 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think any of us run Fedora, to be honest...

And we're working towards not using bundles - right now, since we're a fork and have yet to completely migrate to using distro libs, this isn't possible, but it is in progress...

I have nightingale running on Fedora 16 very well (and Chakra). Unfortuantly I don't know or have the time right now to do a RPM, sorry, alrhough it is something that I would love to try/do.

(03-31-2012, 05:18 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think any of us run Fedora, to be honest...

I have nightingale running on Fedora 16 very well (and Chakra). Unfortuantly I don't know or have the time right now to do a RPM.

(03-31-2012, 03:34 PM)nighthawk Wrote: [ -> ]I have nightingale running on Fedora 16 very well (and Chakra). Unfortuantly I don't know or have the time right now to do a RPM.

Well I've pretty much got that covered since I have already built a SRPM. All I was looking for was someone from the project to take it over and build the binary RPMS.

This can be done fairly easily with rpmbuild and mock from a x86_64 machine. Then, as the package get's updated they would just have to tweak the SRPM (add new sources, bump version or release tags as appropriate) and rebuild the binary RPMS.

Richard
(03-31-2012, 10:06 PM)Hobbes1069 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2012, 03:34 PM)nighthawk Wrote: [ -> ]I have nightingale running on Fedora 16 very well (and Chakra). Unfortuantly I don't know or have the time right now to do a RPM.

Well I've pretty much got that covered since I have already built a SRPM. All I was looking for was someone from the project to take it over and build the binary RPMS.

This can be done fairly easily with rpmbuild and mock from a x86_64 machine. Then, as the package get's updated they would just have to tweak the SRPM (add new sources, bump version or release tags as appropriate) and rebuild the binary RPMS.

Richard

That seems pretty straight forward, would be interested but I only have a 32bit machine and a dissertation that has to be in, in 3 weeks.

Ashley

You Chakra guys have a PKGBUILD, right? If not you can just copy mine from the Arch AUR.
(04-01-2012, 09:32 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]You Chakra guys have a PKGBUILD, right? If not you can just copy mine from the Arch AUR.

Yes, that is correct, I tried installing it from the CCR repos but it failed it install. Not sure if the version as been updated as I installed via this website.

I also use Fedora on my laptop (which is why I was interested in this post) as well as Chakra on my PC.
Here's the link for the SRPM for whoever's interested.

I tweaked things a bit. I'm installing all the icon sizes into /usr/share/icons. The scriptlets will update the image cache on install so they show up immediately. I also added the i686 dependencies and used an arch conditional so it will copy the correct one into the build.

Here's the link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/nightin...16.src.rpm

What it really needs right now is a good summary and description. I didn't find anything good in the README to put in there.

Richard
Pages: 1 2