Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Close/minimize to tray
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Although Songbird is not offering this feature natively, it would be great if:
  • we could just close Nightingale's window and still listen to our music
  • get current song's name putting mouse cursor above Nightingale's tray icon
  • get some tiny menu (pause/next/previous) right clicking on that tray menu
If I'm right there were various add-ons for Songbird...
However, I dislike forcing that feature as there are some users (hmmm... me?) that dislike tray icon spamming.

I think it would be great to add this as add-on - or optional core feature (I'd prefer opt-in, what about firstrun add-on?). If you can agree on that, I think the add-on suggestion forum might be a better place?
If you agree with that I'd move the thread, but we can also leave it here. Smile

Maybe somebody can get one of the old Sogbird add-ons to work?
(03-08-2012, 11:49 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm right there were various add-ons for Songbird...

Actually, there's quite an add-on mess. More than four add-ons doing almost the same job and using confusing names. Most of them didn't get an update since far ago.

(03-08-2012, 11:49 PM)rsjtdrjgfuzkfg Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be great to add this as add-on - or optional core feature (I'd prefer opt-in, what about firstrun add-on?). If you can agree on that, I think the add-on suggestion forum might be a better place?
If you agree with that I'd move the thread, but we can also leave it here. Smile

Maybe somebody can get one of the old Sogbird add-ons to work?

Thanks, rsjtdrjgfuzkfg. It would be great if you could move this to the addon-suggestion forum to find someone that could review one of those Songbird add-ons and make it work. I used to use MinimizeToTray++ and it did the job for me.

Cheers and keep it up! Smile
(03-18-2012, 09:45 PM)g0to Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, rsjtdrjgfuzkfg. It would be great if you could move this to the addon-suggestion forum to find someone that could review one of those Songbird add-ons and make it work.

Done.
I tried bumping the version of MinimizeToTray++ using these instructions.

Core functionality works well, although some things don't work (e.g. "always show in tray"). You have to click the close button (or type alt-4). Clicking the minimise button doesn't work, at least in Ubuntu 11.10, nor does control-q (perhaps expected behaviour).

I didn't try any of the other add-ons that you listed, but I did try bumping MinimizeToTray (Songbird version) and MinimizeToTray revived (MinTrayR), neither of which worked. I'm not sure whether I should post up the modified version of MinimizeToTray++? (I asked previously about the procedure, but received no reply.)

Cheers!
(04-17-2012, 03:00 PM)sparhawk Wrote: [ -> ](I asked previously about the procedure, but received no reply.)

... I missed that one, although I can remember reading the beginning and the ending of the post; sorry for the delay:

Add-on posting procedure
  1. Bump and test the add-on. If you can, fix issues related to it.
  2. if there are still major issues: ask in the forums or in irc for help at porting the add-on.
  3. Login at Nightingale's wiki and select "Edit" on the add-on page
  4. Use the image upload button to upload your pumped add-on, and create the add-on's entry. Please match the style and add a suitable edit description.
  5. Save the page.

So - if the add-on is useable in its basic features you might decide to upload it with a comment describing what doesn't work. When an add-on is ready for the public is your decision - if it doesn't work at all we might delete it, through. BTW: these rules also apply for new add-ons developed by you.
No worries at all. I'll upload them when I get a chance. In the meantime, I've added your last post to the wiki. Let me know if that's not appropriate and/or not the correct place.

Cheers.
(04-18-2012, 12:02 AM)sparhawk Wrote: [ -> ]No worries at all. I'll upload them when I get a chance.

Please, let us know in this thread when you do it.

I think that what you said about the lack of functionality are minimum issuses and the add-on would be great even that way. Thank you for the job and keep it up! Wink

(04-18-2012, 12:02 AM)sparhawk Wrote: [ -> ]No worries at all. I'll upload them when I get a chance. In the meantime, I've added your last post to the wiki. Let me know if that's not appropriate and/or not the correct place.

That's fine with me... I probably was too lazy to do that by myself Wink
(04-18-2012, 01:42 AM)g0to Wrote: [ -> ]Please, let us know in this thread when you do it.

Done. Let me know if you have any problems.
Pages: 1 2