MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Nightingale Forums - Nightingale builds

Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale builds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know how to create .deb or .rpm files for Nightingale? I think it would help the project if we can put together Nightingale in the form of a deb or rpm package. I think people who are new to Linux might not be willing to use Nightingale if it isn't in an "easy" format.
For the first release I don't know that this is a good idea, as honestly, more n00bs use deb and rpm (mostly deb) based distros, and we don't need to spend a lot of time providing support for the 1.8 branch...

Firefox doesn't provide anything other than builds in tarballs and source, and while I support that notion, I think that we should let distros and those who use them package things for themselves. If you'd like to undertake the task feel free, but I'd suggest waiting until the 1.10 version is up and working first.
(10-17-2011, 02:50 PM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]For the first release I don't know that this is a good idea, as honestly, more n00bs use deb and rpm (mostly deb) based distros, and we don't need to spend a lot of time providing support for the 1.8 branch...

Firefox doesn't provide anything other than builds in tarballs and source
I disagree with you. Nightingale will not survive without noobs, especially if one day you plan to port ngale on Windows. These users will need a very easy way to install ngale and a DEB (or RPM) package is more convinient for them than a tarball. With DEB and RPM packages, you just have to click on them and that's OK, just like a simple Windows installer. With a tarball, you have to unpack it ("What is this goddamn geek manipulation for a simple user like me ?"), copy it where you want to put it and making your own shortcuts. That's too much for an average user. Personally, I am not a noob and I would prefer a DEB or RPM package for Firefox on Linux, just like Opera does.

Providing updates for a given version of Nightingale for a long time or not is another issue.
(11-02-2011, 10:32 AM)FalconBird Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-17-2011, 02:50 PM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]For the first release I don't know that this is a good idea, as honestly, more n00bs use deb and rpm (mostly deb) based distros, and we don't need to spend a lot of time providing support for the 1.8 branch...

Firefox doesn't provide anything other than builds in tarballs and source
I disagree with you. Nightingale will not survive without noobs, especially if one day you plan to port ngale on Windows. These users will need a very easy way to install ngale and a DEB (or RPM) package is more convinient for them than a tarball. With DEB and RPM packages, you just have to click on them and that's OK, just like a simple Windows installer. With a tarball, you have to unpack it ("What is this goddamn geek manipulation for a simple user like me ?"), copy it where you want to put it and making your own shortcuts. That's too much for an average user. Personally, I am not a noob and I would prefer a DEB or RPM package for Firefox on Linux, just like Opera does.

Providing updates for a given version of Nightingale for a long time or not is another issue.
I would make the deb and rpm files myself if I knew how to do so, but I don't. So, the real question is: who knows how to make a deb or rpm package?
I know how to make debs but I don't know how to sign them.
I'm not confident in producing debs for other people to use as I'm not an expert.
Try these guides:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian...cs.en.html
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux...-packages/

Or you could talk to the guys at http://www.getdeb.net for help as they have packaged songbird in the past.
Try grabbing the xml and stuff they used on launchpad to build songbird - I think I linked it to you, Timmy... I think it may give you a good base, just skip their patches and go from there.
Hello all,

I've created a PPA on Launchpad called simply "nightingale". I'll create a thread under development called "Ubuntu PPA" -- http://forum.getnightingale.com/thread-369.html