Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale default feather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
GeekShadow: not sure the next time we'll get to talk, but do you know, by chance, how to setup your skin as the default within the build system for the 1.8 songbird/ngale version we have on the sourceforge svn?

That's all I lack to have a releaseable (both legally and functionally) version of Nightingale for linux. We could then hope to get that up on slashdot and digg and maybe get some more developers around to help with the 1.10 branch.
More developers… yeah! We urgently need them. Big Grin
And how!
(09-26-2011, 08:40 AM)ilikenwf Wrote: [ -> ]GeekShadow: not sure the next time we'll get to talk, but do you know, by chance, how to setup your skin as the default within the build system for the 1.8 songbird/ngale version we have on the sourceforge svn?

Why can't you just copy the complete source files for the feather to the "feathers" directory? And then have the build script create a ".jar" file for the theme.
Some other slight mods to the .rdf are required...and I'm not really expierienced in the building process involved with the frontend.

Also, GeekShadow, do you have a fake titlebar built into your skin? For linux, it'd be nice if we could keep using one, as the os-native ones in general clash with the songbird app's look and feel.
Quote:Also, GeekShadow, do you have a fake titlebar built into your skin? For linux, it'd be nice if we could keep using one, as the os-native ones in general clash with the songbird app's look and feel.
Yes, it will be a native title bar. See my mockups for the theme, there's a native KDE window frame.
Can you perhaps toss in a version with a non-native bar? Depending on the window manager, it doesn't look as nice as something that's all in one due to the nature of songbird not being a standard grey and white app...those look ok with normal borders because they're not supposed to look nice...songbird is an exception.

Even if you just tossed one together quickly, you could just rip off the CSS and layout stuff from purplerain or gonzo and chainge the colors to match the theme...I hate the native bar with ngale.
The Nightingale feather is designed to combine native elements with non-native elements. Therefore it'll have a native window border. Non-native borders don't behave well and often look worse than a native frame. Of course, with current Songbird Purple Rain, a native frame would look horrible, but not with the new Nightingale feather.
Here's the mockup: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23091379/Nightin...export.png
The only reason the system border and window title look good there is because you've picked one that goes with the design of the skin itself...

For those of us who use a solid black/grey 1px border and a black gradient for the titlebar, it won't look quite as nice...

Eventually, it'd be kinda cool to have a way to change the palette of the default template from within the gui with a color changer. I know some userstyles can do that sort of thing with firefox, using css tinting or something.
If nightingale is updating to the latest libs doesn't that mean we could have a feather that works like firefox to make a completely native looking theme?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10