Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Nightingale default feather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(05-03-2011, 01:56 AM)Manko10 Wrote: [ -> ]That is absolutely right, but you shan't skin the logo. We should handle it the same way as Mozilla: they have strict guidelines how their logos may be used. E.g. they don't allow modifications of the logo, wrong logo text placement or use in improper surroundings. That is very important because we have to take care of our brand, otherwise it might be mistaken for other products or its quality could suffer due to wrong associations and/or unprofessional brand representation.

I totally agree on this.
Love the work on the UI.. it looks awesome.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the menu bar... I think it's a holdover from a long time ago and we should really try to move past it from a UI perspective. Context menus or perhaps a clickable logo in the corner (a la Opera or the latest firefox) should be the way to go imho.

I also think there's a little much whitespace around the controls (but I think you mentioned you did that intentionally). I guess that's a little nitpicky of me Tongue

Keep up the great work!
I'm trying to make my own feather, so that I have something that matches the color scheme of my desktop. But I know nothing about how to make icons with GIMP or Photoshop. I was just wondering if there are any good looking icons (Play, Shuffle, volume icons, etc.) out there that are licensed through GPL or Creative Commons or something similar.
I'd suggest making the graphics with vectors using Inkscape and then modify them in GIMP if necessary. Since Inkscape exports PNGs, it might not even be necessary to use GIMP. GIMP is for photo manipulation, but Inkscape is more for making graphics.
The current draft is neither made in Inkscape nor Gimp but in Adobe Fireworks, which is specifically built for screen design such as website or GUI drafts.

By the way: any progress here? Where are the developers?
I guess it doesn't matter as your draft is private but is Adobe Fireworks able to export to svg or something inkscape can read? As most people won't have access to Adobe Fireworks if others help you with the feather in the future.

AFAIK devs are a bit busy with non-project things but that's not too much of a problem for now as the major thing needed for an initial release is a replacement feather.
Fireworks uses PNG format and saves its meta data such as layers etc. in chunks. It is also no problem to export parts so I can provide single images of several parts of the UI. You have to rebuild the UI in XUL and CSS anyway since you can't just export SVG or any other graphics format to a feather and most parts are just rectangles with gradient fill, which shouldn't be graphics but CSS.
However, we still need devs who can write the XUL code. I'm a web designer and therefore I can write CSS and JavaScript but neither do I know XUL nor do I know the Mozilla API. Therefore I can't write the feather but only provide the graphics for it.
I've managed to cut-and-paste a feather together by modifying existing Songbird elements and using some elements from Manko10's proposal. It's not perfect, but it's something. I'm no designer or programmer, so everything I've done is really guess-and-check & copy-paste, but if anyone needs help with a feather I'll try my best. My feather is really just "purple rain" with modified a modified color scheme.
So we need geekshadow.. He knows the APIs and XUL AFAIK.
Ok, I know a bit too, but not a lot...
(07-05-2011, 03:18 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]So we need geekshadow.. He knows the APIs and XUL AFAIK.
Ok, I know a bit too, but not a lot...

Can you post all your files Manko ? I will try to take care of this as soon as I can.

@Timmythepirate :
Could you send me your files also ? Thanks Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10