Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Keywords UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
oSo I just realized you can edit a field called 'keywords' in Nightingale. Currently, I create 'tags' for my songs using the comment field. So a song will have the Genre 'EDM' but the comment will say 'Instrumental, Tech House, Detroit, Deep'. Then, I can create smart playlists that match these words.

I'm assuming this is what 'keywords' is for. Is that correct? I don't see this listed as an ID3 tag. Is it proprietary to Nightingale? Is it embedded into the file, or is it only saved in the database?

Is the point to delimit keywords with commas? It would be cool if these keywords were represented as little buttons, or even tags, like this: [Image: tag-assistant-icon.png]

And when you click on one, it'll show all the files in the library that have that keyword. Or, they could be represented as a drop-down. Or, they could automatically sort themselves alphabetically. Basically, add some extra sorting functionality with keywords.

I'm also interested in the 'Description' tag. what is this designed for?
(01-01-2016, 01:00 PM)3×5 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm assuming this is what 'keywords' is for. Is that correct? I don't see this listed as an ID3 tag. Is it proprietary to Nightingale? Is it embedded into the file, or is it only saved in the database?
It is a library-only tag, and not written to actual tags. I have no idea why it was added, probably some legacy from Songbird times.

(01-01-2016, 01:00 PM)3×5 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm also interested in the 'Description' tag. what is this designed for?
Looks like library-only, too (unless it internally has a different name, i only CTRL-F'ed for "description"). Again, no idea what it was for, likely from Songbird times. If I had to guess, maybe it was intended as a generic field for some video formats?

(01-01-2016, 01:00 PM)3×5 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the point to delimit keywords with commas? It would be cool if these keywords were represented as little buttons, or even tags, like this: [Image: tag-assistant-icon.png]
Nightingale's library is not able to represent a true 1:n relation on tags. This is a terrible legacy from Songbird, and the main reason for me to think that Nightingale's database code would need to be completely thrown away and be re-implemented (but then, that changes really big parts of the code, so it might even be reasonable to start a Nightingale supporting that from scratch on recent technology...). Anything like tags, multi-artists, multi-genres, and all the other nice things modern tagging formats have cannot be implemented with the current architecture.

So, no, there is no official way of representing multiple values. When importing, Nightingale compresses multiple tags using commas, so it might be slightly more reasonable to use them instead of anything else, but there is no technical reason to do so.