Nightingale Forums

Full Version: Portable Nightingale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have Nightingale on a Portable Apps Platform. Each time I open it new again. I have to re-setup the music player. Change preferences and etc. Is there a portable version of Nightingale, if so, how do I go about getting it to work correctly?
As of yet there is no portable windows version, or in fact any truly portable version, as our official builds are configured to store the profile data in the user's local application data (%appdata%/nightingale on window, ~/.nightingale on Linux etc.)
However developers from PortableApps.com have shown the intent of porting Nightingale, like they did with Songbird.
(06-06-2014, 01:19 AM)freaktechnik Wrote: [ -> ]As of yet there is no portable windows version, or in fact any truly portable version, as our official builds are configured to store the profile data in the user's local application data (%appdata%/nightingale on window, ~/.nightingale on Linux etc.)
However developers from PortableApps.com have shown the intent of porting Nightingale, like they did with Songbird.

do you know of any portable app creators or the process for making a version yourself that i could go to or try?
josephkentcraig: you *might* be able to use these instructions firefox_portable#local_profile, or a similar technique to get it working?
(06-09-2014, 04:07 AM)johnmurrayvi Wrote: [ -> ]josephkentcraig: you *might* be able to use these instructions firefox_portable#local_profile, or a similar technique to get it working?
i was able to figure out how to keep any extension installed. now the biggest issue is the Watch Folders. Each time i open nightingale, it goes through the setup process again. how do you go about making an app portable in general?
If you'd like, I can create a new Nightingale Portable based on the old Songbird Portable for official release at PortableApps.com as well as officially here. We can build it and host it, we can build it and you host it, or we can show you how to build it with our open source (GPL) tools.
Personally I think the first solution is the best. For one I don't think we should start tinkering with yet another version, though if somebody really wants to, I'm totally fine with that, though I guess that'd mean we'd have to houst it ourselves.
But on the other hand we currently host on sourceforge - nothing against sourceforge, but I think your hosting would be better.
Don't worry, we only package your official release, so it won't be a separate 'build' you need to maintain. As a general rule, the portable version is upgraded just by dumping the new Windows binaries into the NightingalePortable\App\nightingale directory and changing the version number of the package between releases, so maintenance isn't that bad either once the kinks are worked out.

We can start building it and hosting it and you linking to our build and if you later decide you'd like to take it in-house, we can hand responsibility off to you and simply link to your hosted builds on our site and platform. It won't be an issue for you licensing-wise as all our tools are open source and are built using only open source tools (the only portable project to do so). Hosting wise, we also host on SourceForge.
Hey JohnTHaller, thanks for your interest into building a portable version of Nightingale.
The best would be to integrate Portable script into our build system and add a switch to build the portable version for Windows.

For hosting, I'm fine for both SF.net and PortableApps.
(07-30-2014, 06:40 AM)GeekShadow Wrote: [ -> ]The best would be to integrate Portable script into our build system and add a switch to build the portable version for Windows.
Once you've built the Nightingale binaries for Windows to place in your standard local installer, you've built the binaries for the portable version. We don't alter the binaries.

The rest of our tools are scriptable in build systems running in a Windows OS environment. Both the PA.c Launcher (the NightingalePortable.exe bit that handles portablizing settings, including SQL commands to update paths and then running Nightingale) and the PA.c Installer (the NightingalePortable_1.12.1.paf.exe installer that users will download) are built using tools that automatically generate NSIS code and then compile it. We digitally sign it when it's complete.

On that note, I noticed your Windows builds aren't currently digitally signed. If you'd like assistance with that and don't mind passing us your binary installer for us to sign and pass back to you, we can sign the builds for you. We've offered this up to Inkscape (we build their portable version and they host it) and a couple other open source projects in the past as well.
Pages: 1 2